On October 2, 2018, a week after the ex-husband of Itziar Prats killed his two daughters, Ángela González Carreño wrote him a letter. "Dear Itziar," he said in the letter that came out in the newspaper Public, "Only the women who suffer it understand that fear, we identify it and we live it, each in our own way".
González Carreño pleaded for 15 years until the Supreme Court agreed with him and admitted the State's errors in his case and sentenced him to compensate her with 600,000 euros. The opinion of the United Nations Committee for the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW), He noted that Spain did not act with due diligence to prevent the ex-husband of González Carreño from killing their daughter. It happened in 2003, during a visit allowed by a judge and after she fled the mistreatment that he inflicted on her and had put up to 48 complaints trying to alert of the risk that the minor was running. To her, as to Itziar Prats, her ex-husband had given her a warning: "I'm going to take away what you most want." He fulfilled it and, as in this second case, later committed suicide.
On September 25, 2018, the two daughters of Itziar Prats, Nerea and Martina, aged six and two, were murdered by their father. It happened after she went to the police station to report that she feared for the girls' lives and claimed, unsuccessfully, an order of protection both in the courthouse and in the Court of Violence against Women 1 in Castellón.
Prats spoke for the first time publicly in an interview with this newspaper that was published on March 25. "I denounced, they told me that nothing would happen and now my daughters are gone", lament. After the investigation opened by the Ombudsman, who has joined, says they want to reach the ultimate consequences, such as Angela Gonzalez, and expect the State to recognize that there was an error when the police determined that the risk of their case He was "under" and the judges and prosecutors ignored his request for help.
Ángela González had everything removed when she read the interview. "It makes my hair stand on end, it's very difficult, you have to go through that duel and many years in which you do not want to live," he tells by telephone from his home in Madrid. "First you have to digest that you have taken away what you most want and then fight, that you have murdered your daughter in this vile way, in the end what you have left is the impotence that justice also does not put means. the other part, that was mostly my fight. "
"If you act like that, they'll still get away with it"
However, the woman who denounced Spain to the UN sends a message of hope to Itziar Prats, a request for resistance: "What these assassins want is to try to end your life by taking away what you most want, what you think then. It's also disappearing, but over time, over the years, you realize that you have to react and that if you act like that, logically they get away with it, they keep getting away with it. "
During the first 10 years of litigation, he received up to five sentences in which the judges pointed out that there were no errors. "Ten years giving me back totally", remembers González. "If I came to stop, I would have died, because it was my fight, it was my truth, what I had lived in. Struggle for justice to echo, give you reason, give you back your dignity, because they have to recognize all the mistakes that have been committed that were many and that determined the murder of my daughter, "says this woman, who says that until her case reached the UN, nobody had read reports or reports that, one Friday after another, she presented after his daughter returned from visiting the father. "He murdered my daughter because they did not use media, as happened to Itziar."
One month after the daughters of Itziar Prats were murdered, On November 28, 2018, the Sub-delegation of Government in Castellón called a meeting to analyze what measures had been taken and if they worked. The prosecutor and the judge of the case were summoned to that meeting, who did not attend, according to Rosa Marcos, the head of the Gender Violence Unit of the Sub-delegation. Yes, they were responsible for the 24-hour Women's Center that assisted Prats, the Ministry of Equality and Health, the City Council and the Family Unit of the Police. And they determined that the work "had been done well."
"It was detected that, once the complaint was made, all the mechanisms that the protocol says were activated and the decisions that the judge believed were convenient," says Marcos. When Prats went to report that he feared for the lives of his daughters, the police determined that the risk "was low". Until last March 13, six months after the murder of the girls, the police assessment did not include the minors. "We should have done more but at that time, the resources did give assistance to the woman, the children were not given attention, now, with the new instruction, we try to prevent this from happening again," adds Marcos.
And he continues: "To whom the minors belonged is to the court, it was the court that had to have taken measures if the judge had considered that there was damage to them." That low risk was one of the reasons that the head of the Court of Violence against Women 1 of Castellón took into consideration to not meet Prats' request. After the murder, court sources denounced this newspaper lack of means and that there was no psychologist available to analyze the minors. This newspaper has tried to collect, without success, the considerations of the Superior Court of Justice of the Valencian Community on the case and if changes have been applied.