October 28, 2020

US delays action against TikTok for a week after reaching preliminary agreement


The TikTok logo between Chinese and US flags
Reuters

The government of USA announced this Saturday that will delay the application of measures against the Chinese social network TikTok, which were to come into force on September 20, after the president, Donald trump, give your “blessing” to a preliminary agreement so that it can operate in the country.

“In light of recent positive developments, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, under the leadership of President Trump, will delay the ban on transactions identified in Executive Order 13942, related to the mobile application. TikTok, which would have entered into force on Sunday, September 20, 2020, until September 27, 2020 at 11:59 pm“the Commerce Department said in a statement.

Trump announced hours earlier that he had given “his blessing” to an agreement with TikTok by which the social network would partner with US companies Oracle and Walmart to operate in the US, although he noted that negotiations were still continuing.

“I have given my blessing to the agreement, if they succeed it would be great and if not, it would also be fine, but it’s a great deal for the US.“, said the president, who shortly after added that he approved the agreement” in concept. ”

Trump highlighted that Oracle and Walmart would partner with TikTok, “security would be 100%They will be employing separate clouds and very powerful security and will be making a $ 5 billion contribution to education. ”

“We will see if it happens or not, but conceptually I think it is a great agreement for the US,” said the president, who assured that if a pact is reached, 25,000 jobs will be created, mostly in Texas and that it will be a new company, although it will keep the TikTok name.

On Friday, the Commerce Department announced that it would block downloads of TikTok and the WeChat (Chinese WhatsApp) messaging network on US app purchase sites starting on Sunday, September 20, and that US authorities would veto its full use in the US as of November 12, citing concerns in the National security.

In the case of WeChat, it also vetoed from this Sunday any transfer of funds or payments in the US through this application. Neither the Commerce Department nor Trump referred this Saturday to Wechat so that on September 20 the bans come into force relating to this social network.

On several occasions, Trump has assured that TikTok poses a “threat” to national security and that he intends to force its sale to a US company. According to the US Government, TikTok and WeChat “store vast amounts of user data, including network activity, their location, and their search and browsing history.”

These companies, according to the Department of Commerce, are active participants in China’s combination of civil and military activities and are subject to mandatory cooperation with the intelligence services of the Chinese Communist Party.

China claimed on Friday that will act against foreign companies and individuals that “endanger” their sovereignty and security, and issued new rules related to its list of “untrustworthy entities”, announced more than 15 months ago and has not yet been published, by which it could sanction US firms and individuals in response to the Administration’s measures. of Trump.

China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs opposes the forced sale of TikTok, an operation that in its opinion violates the principles of the World Trade Organization (WTO).

The Chinese government sees the intention to sell TikTok as one more chapter in the trade war between Beijing and Washington, which tries to contain the growing technological power of the Asian giant, which has already seen how the telecommunications firm Huawei has had to face restrictions, as well as WeChat, owned by the digital conglomerate Tencent.

.



Source link