Trump has “good conversation” with the Taliban leader after the peace agreement

The president of the United States, Donald Trump, said Tuesday that he had a “good conversation” with the Taliban leader, mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, in which they agreed that “there will be no violence” after the historic signing of a peace agreement on Last weekend in Qatar.

“I spoke with the Taliban leader today. We had a good conversation. We have agreed that there will be no violence, we do not want violence,” Trump told reporters at the White House.

This is the first confirmation of direct contact between a US president and the Taliban.

After almost two decades of war and more than a year of negotiations, both sides took a historic step last weekend in Doha (Qatar) by signing a peace agreement, which provides for the complete withdrawal of prominent international troops in Afghanistan.

“They are talking with the government of Afghanistan, we will see what happens,” Trump added about the possibilities of realizing the pact, which the Afghan government has not yet signed.

The text of the agreement stipulates that the United States will withdraw from the Asian country “all military forces” and non-diplomatic civilian personnel within 14 months. The troops of their coalition allies will also withdraw.

For their part, the Taliban pledged to start a dialogue with the Afghan government of Ashraf Ghani in Oslo, in which a “permanent and comprehensive” ceasefire will be discussed, according to the document.

On March 10, negotiations between Kabul and the Taliban will start, the second step to end two decades of war.

In addition, and on that same date, 5,000 insurgent prisoners and 1,000 members of the Afghan security forces will be released.

On October 12, 2018, the U.S. special representative for matters of peace, Zalmay Khalilzad, and leaders of the insurgents held the first of a dozen rounds of dialogue in the country of the Persian Gulf.

Last September, Trump abruptly canceled the meetings in response to an attack in Kabul in which an American died, although the process resumed at the end of November after a surprise visit by the president to Afghanistan.


Source link