The Trinidad and Tobago government announced on Saturday that it plans to reopen its borders, temporarily, to allow 59 citizens of the Caribbean country to return, after being stranded on various cruise ships as a preventive measure by COVID-19.
As explained in a statement today by the Minister of National Security of Trinidad and Tobago, Stuart Young, local authorities have been in communication with cruise lines to agree on the dates of return of citizens.
Six of the 59 citizens would arrive this Saturday, and the rest -53- will arrive on Monday.
Upon arrival in the country, citizens will be medically evaluated and advised by officials from health authorities, who will force them to quartered against any possible contagion, Young said.
The minister added that after the arrival of the 59 Trinidadians, they still await the return of another 300 inhabitants.
“The government continues to carefully manage the return of our citizens in a way that protects them from any contagion, as well as the rest of the population of Trinidad and Tobago,” he emphasized.
The Trinidad and Tobago government closed its borders last March, as part of its efforts to prevent having COVID-19 cases in its country.
Currently, 116 people have tested positive for the virus in the Caribbean country, while eight others have died.
These data have not changed since at least April 28.
The COVID-19, plus the drop in oil prices, have caused Trinidad and Tobago’s 2020 budget deficit to rise from $ 5.3 billion to $ 15.5 billion.
Finance Minister Colm Imbert recently said there is no doubt that fiscal year 2020 will be exceptionally difficult even if the consequences of the pandemic disappear in the second half of the year.
Jamaica, for its part, leads the Caribbean countries with the highest number of COVID-19 infections, with 544.
Globally, since the first case was reported in China in November last year, more than 5.1 million people have been infected with the virus and more than 331,400 have died.