The door of Triana, the main access to Seville in the 16th century, was something like the business card of a large metropolis that held the monopoly of trade with the Americas and wanted to offer a renewed image to the world. Its paired Doric columns, one of the first images that sailors and travelers found whose boats docked in front, in the river port of the Guadalquivir River, were reproduced in engravings and paintings that circulated throughout the world. Most of the time under the motto: "Who has not seen Seville, has not seen wonder." The they portrayed, among others, the cartographer and engraver Joannes Janssonius in 1617; Matthäus Merian, in 1638; Pedro Tortolero in his panorama of the arrival of Felipe V to Seville in 1729, just when the monarch crossed the arch; or the prolific cartoonist Richard Ford in 1830
But that door, one of the 20 that had the Almohad wall, was demolished in 1868, in another modernizing wave that ended almost the entire siege of the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. The architects Antonio Gámiz and Pedro Barrero have rebuilt the volumetry of the Renaissance monument, built between 1585 and 1588, from some architectural elements they have located, from architectural treatises of the time, engravings and two photographs of the nineteenth century.
"In the sixteenth century Seville is the Puerto de Indias, a city in full splendor that seeks an avant-garde architectural language, the Renaissance, expression of the new times ", explains Antonio Gámiz who, like Barrero, is a member of the HUM976 research group. Expregraphic. Place, Architecture and Drawing and Professor at the School of Architecture of the University of Seville. "At that time of glory, when the Andalusian capital was the center of the world, the Cabildo de Sevilla commissioned the architect in 1560 Hernán Ruiz II a project to renovate the old Almohad doors of the wall. He designed a plan and intervened at the doors of Goles, Jerez, Macarena, El Arenal and in the Coal shutter; but he died in 1569 and we believe that it was his disciple Asencio de Maeda who built Triana's on the master's path, "says Pedro Barrero, who has studied the Renaissance monuments of Seville for a decade to write his thesis on the house of the Pin it
Gámiz and Barrero, who have published the result of their research in EGA Magazine of Architectural Graphic Expression, a scientific publication of the Polytechnic University of Valencia, ensure that the Triana door, 8.5 meters wide and 12.5 high, can be raised in its original location from its study. "We want to open a public debate, which leaves the university environment and passes from paper to stone. With the data we have, a completely reliable reconstruction could be made that would give urbanity to the Triana bridge, help to understand the Seville of the 16th century and have a positive impact in that area of Reyes Catolicos Street, "says Gámiz.
The architects, who are going to present their project to the City Council of Seville, are convinced that the return of the Triana door is not a crazy idea and that it can be done "with a good stonecutter and private investors". "Gaudí did not finish the Sagrada Familia, he left the plans and is being built without anyone objecting," says Barrero. The original monument was built in limestone that came through the river in carracas from the Jerez quarries of San Cristóbal and its upper floor, with a large balcony, was used as a prison "for notable people" like the Count of the Eagle, imprisoned in 1808 After being accused of French. Currently only the door of the Macarena, the one of Córdoba and the shutters of the Oil and the Coal are conserved
"The two pieces of striated shaft of the columns that we have located in the zoo of Jerez have been key to dimension the two pairs of columns. The City Council awarded the demolition in 1868 to the Jerez contractor José Girón, who took the stones as payment. The remains were sold to the Tempul Waters Society that used them to build their offices in an area that later became a garden and then a zoo, photographs, the foundation revealed in a 1983 archaeological excavation and treaties Architectural Serlio and Vignola, the same ones used by Hernán Ruiz II (author of the bell body of the Giralda and the Hospital of the Five Wounds, now the seat of the Andalusian Parliament), have served us to complete the investigation "concludes Gámiz.
. (tagsToTranslate) seville (t) 16th century (t) door (t) triana (t) two (t) architect (t) recreate (t) access (t) main (t) wall (t) tear down (t) xix (t) propose (t) reconstruction