The rehabilitation works of the Islamic wall of the 11th century located in the Plaza del Ángel de Valencia They have brought to light part of the medieval cemetery of the defunct parish of Santa Cruz, located in the square of the same name. Remains of the patio and stables of the Posada del Ángel have also been found, which survived until the flood of 1957.
With the advance of archaeological excavations it is expected thate the moat that ran in front of the fortification appears and that was later used to channel the Rovella ditch, as detailed by the Valencia City Council in a statement.
Under the wall, part of the Santa Cruz parish cemetery has been found, located in the square of the same name, which was destroyed in 1884. The Valencia City Council agreed in 1805 to transfer the burials of all the parish necropolises located within the walls of the general cemetery, but in the case of the Holy Cross, as in many others, it was only partially done, so bone remains remain.
The Mayor of Valencia, Joan Ribó, who has visited the excavations together with the Councilor for Heritage and Cultural Resources, Glòria Tello, has highlighted that the recovery of the wall “is a fundamental element to know our heritage and our history”.
Under this premise, he explained that the objective is to enable an “archaeological park” or some type of facility to have a “fundamental tool so that all Valencians can delve into their roots”, “so that at the same time that people enjoy a space you can find out about our history, where we come from, who we Valencians are “.
“It is very important when defining the personality of a city to work hard on its remains and take care of them”, he pointed out, before lamenting that the wall “was a characteristic feature of the city, which has been lost in part”, but that the council wants to recover it and dignify it “.
For her part, Glòria Tello has stressed that the future interpretation center has the purpose of “educating and raising public awareness about what Valencia was like and how the Carme neighborhood has evolved”. The mayor has also pointed out that when the works conclude, in June 2022, the original dimensions of the wall will be recovered.
The action has a budget of 3,440,661.51 euros and an execution period of 15 months, began on March 10 and includes archaeological intervention throughout the area. The excavations carried out so far have also made it possible to locate vestiges of landscaped patios with pools of water corresponding to houses from the second half of the 19th century..
On the other hand, elements of the patio and stables of the old Posada del Ángel are being recovered, which stood until the flood of 1957, when it was abandoned. Traces of terraced constructions have also appeared on the wall and a street with a central drainage channel from the 13th century.
As the work progresses, it is expected that the pre-wall, the liza and the moat that ran in front of the fortification will come to light, which in late medieval times was used to channel an arm of the Rovella canal.