June 24, 2021

There are 194 deaths with COVID-19 in Mexico, with 3,441 confirmed infections



The number of people who died in Mexico with COVID-19 increased this Thursday to 194 and the number of confirmed infections in this country rose to 3,441, according to its health authorities.

In the last 24 hours the number of deaths increased by 20 and the number of new confirmed cases by 260, representing an increase of 8.17%.

Among the deaths are two pregnant women. One of them gave birth by caesarean section.

72% of deaths in Mexico correspond to men and the remaining 28% to women. The average age of the deceased is 57 years.

The authorities specified that there are 10,105 suspected cases, 17,950 negatives and they register 31,496 cases studied.

Of the confirmed cases, 2,401 (70%) have been mild and 1,040 (30%) have required hospitalization.

The Mexican undersecretary for Prevention and Health Promotion, Hugo López-Gatell, said that “unfortunately it is not an epidemic that can be stopped, but the transmission of infections can be reduced.”

In addition, he warned that in Mexico “they are close to entering phase 3, but there is no exact date.” Phase 3 is the period of maximum transmission and more cases per day.

“Probably in the next 15 days we will reach a point where transmission is dispersed enough to consider phase 3, and this will involve some adjustments to sanitary measures,” he said.

He added that there are 28,216 infected in the whole country and the epidemic in Mexico “is eight times bigger” than what is seen in the confirmed cases, of which he said are “a sample”.

“Next week, 0 according to the intensity of transmission and the percentage of confirmation with the clinical characteristics of the disease, can lead us to an upward adjustment on the number of estimated cases,” López-Gatell said.

Regarding the mortality rate per 100,000 inhabitants, the undersecretary specified that it is 0.15 nationwide and that the Mexican state with the highest rate is Quintana Roo (0.70).

He noted that Mexico has “an overrepresentation of deaths in young patients” due to chronic diseases such as diabetes, overweight, obesity, which represents 39.69% of comorbidity.

The director of the National Center for Blood Transfusion, Jorge Enrique Trejo, explained that in Mexico there is “a low flow of donors” and the challenge is to collect blood to optimize reserves in banks.

He added that, according to previous experiences of pandemics in his country and in others, in the coming weeks “there will be a significant, negative impact on blood supply.”

Until April 30, the Mexican health authorities ordered the closing of schools, the temporary suspension of activities and the restriction of mass meetings, as well as specific protection measures for people at the most vulnerable risk, who are the elderly, pregnant women and people with chronic diseases.

.



Source link