The Secretary General of the United Nations, António Guterres, has been shown this Friday "deeply saddened" by the news that about 150 refugees and migrants have lost their lives in a shipwreck in the Mediterranean.
According to the Libyan Coast Guard, at least 116 people have disappeared and 132 have been rescued after shipwrecking the vessel in which they were trying to reach Europe irregularly.
The secretary general's spokesman, Farhan Haq, said Guterres is also concerned about the information that points to many of the survivors rescued by the coast guards have been transferred to the Tajoura migrant detention center.
Haq said that this center is near military facilities and was the target of an air raid on July 2 in which 50 people died.
"The Secretary General reiterates that Libya is not a safe country of asylum and that refugees must be treated with dignity and respect and in accordance with international law," he added.
As explained yesterday by the spokesman of the Libyan Crust Guard, Ayub Qasem, the boat, which according to the survivors were traveling around 250 people, had left a beach near the city of Khoms, one of the main ports of irregular migration the Mediterranean.
Hours earlier, the United Nations refugee agency had reported through social networks the possible death of 150 migrants by shipwrecking an unsafe boat off the coast of Libya.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) this week estimated in 683 the number of people who have died so far this year on the three main routes of irregular emigration in the Mediterranean and warned of the high increase in the west, which It leads to Spain.
. (tagsToTranslate) UN (t) deep (t) shipwreck (t) refugees (t) Mediterranean