White House National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien admitted on Sunday that the Administration of US President Donald Trump is considering restricting travel from Brazil, which is the South American country most affected by COVID-19, as was done previously with Europe and China.
“We hope it will be temporary, but due to the situation in Brazil, we are going to take all necessary measures to protect the American people,” said the official on the Sunday program “Face the Nation.”
O’Brien, who since last September replaced the controversial John Bolton, said that the measure would initially affect Brazil and that any other decision would be analyzed “country by country.”
Last Wednesday, US Vice President Mike Pence said in Orlando, Florida that the White House is not only considering restricting travel from Brazil, but also from other South American countries, with the aim of containing the expansion of COVID-19. .
“We are watching very carefully what is happening in South America, including Brazil. In recent days we have seen a significant increase in cases,” Pence told reporters.
The official added that Trump has considered these “additional travel restrictions.”
On March 31, Trump himself assured during a press conference that they are “certainly studying a veto” of travel from Brazil, when asked about that possibility.
Trump banned people from China from entering the United States in January and in mid-March made the same decision with those arriving from Europe, the latter measure for a period of 30 days.
The United States is the country most affected by the pandemic, with 1,632,721 cases and 97,424 deaths, followed by Brazil, with 347,398 infected people and 22,013 deaths, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University.
Brazil is the second country in the world, after the USA, with the highest number of COVID-19 infections, with more than 347,000 infected and some 22,000 deaths.