Wed. Feb 26th, 2020

The second plane with evacuees from China arrives in Canada for the coronavirus



The second plane carrying Canadian evacuees from the Chinese province of Hubei, epicenter of the outbreak of the new coronavirus that has caused more than a thousand deaths in China, arrived Tuesday at the military base in Trenton (Canada).

Canadian authorities said the plane carried 188 passengers, 130 Canadians and 58 relatives, from Wuhan Tianhe International Airport.

Last week, another plane chartered by the Canadian authorities also took Trenton, about 175 miles east of Toronto, to a first contingent of 176 people evacuated from Hubei. In addition, 39 other Canadians were also evacuated last week on a plane chartered by the United States.

All evacuees from Hubei will remain in Trenton for two weeks in quarantine as a precaution to prevent the possible spread of the virus, called 2019nCoV by the World Health Organization (WHO).

So far, none of those evacuated at the Trenton base have developed symptoms of the disease.

The medical director of Canada, Dr. Theresa Tam, explained today in a tweet that “to ensure the health and safety of all repatriated Canadians and the Canadian public, evacuees and their families will continue to be monitored for symptoms of 2019nCoV for 14 days “.

Meanwhile, the number of confirmed cases of the new coronavirus in the Canadian population remains seven, four in the province of British Columbia, on the Pacific coast of Canada, and three in the province of Ontario.

In addition, Canadian Finance Minister Bill Morneau warned Monday that the epidemic outbreak will have “a significant impact” on the Canadian economy and that the country’s oil production will be one of the most affected.

The Ministry of Health of Canada said that the risk that the new coronavirus presents to the Canadian population “is low” but that the risk for Canadians traveling to China is still “high” so it recommended not making trips to the Asian country to Unless they are essential.

The country’s medical authorities also recommend people who have been in Hubei province during the last 14 days to isolate themselves at their homes and contact the health authorities to reduce the risk of spreading the infection.

Precisely the last two cases detected in Canada are of two Chinese tourists, a man and a woman, from Wuhan who traveled to Canada after the outbreak of the epidemic outbreak but before the Chinese authorities closed the city to prevent the spread of the disease.

The two reside with a woman who became the fifth case of infection of the new coronavirus in Canada and the first case of transmission in the country.

The three relatives have been isolated in their home by the Canadian health authorities.

.



Source link