October 26, 2020

The registration tax grows at a record pace due to the pull of gasoline | Economy

The registration tax grows at a record pace due to the pull of gasoline | Economy


The automobile sector is immersed in an authentic revolution. The outbreak of the dieselgate – the case that evidenced the fraud of the emission data in September 2015 – accelerated the technological transformation and the social changes. The Spanish market is no stranger to this evolution. Last year For the first time in a long time, more gasoline than diesel cars were sold. The average cylinder capacity of the cars increased and more cars had to pay the registration tax for exceeding the minimum level of emissions from which it is necessary to pay taxes (120 grams of CO2 per kilometer).

The registration tax grows at a record pace due to the pull of gasoline

The statistic on the tax of registration diffused by the Tax Agency allows to construct a precise x-ray on the market of the car in Spain. Last year, 1,362,387 cars were sold, 7% more than the previous year. The number of registered cars is still far from the 2006 peak, when 1,516,271 vehicles were sold.

58.3% of the cars registered last year were gasoline, compared to 41.7% diesel. To get an idea of ​​the change that the sector is experiencing, in 2017 the proportion was exactly the opposite.

The figures of the Treasury show, moreover, that until last year there were more vehicles exempt from gas oil than gasoline, which usually faces a higher section of the tax.

The registration tax grows at a record pace due to the pull of gasoline

One of the data that best explains the brilliant increase in the collection of this tax is the number of cars that had to be taxed. Until two years ago only one in four (around 25%) was taxed, the rest (75%) was exempt when emitting less than 120 grams of CO2. But last year these proportions changed. 31.6% of the cars marketed last year had to pay the tax.

Behind this variation lies the change promoted by the European Commission in the emissions protocol. Since September, the WLTP has been applied, a new method to more realistically measure the emissions of vehicles, which takes into account not only the behavior in the laboratory, but also in more stressed situations. However, the Government avoided the big blow by postponing until 2021 the gross fiscal impact of the new emissions law. However, the new regulations increased the registration tax by up to 5%. In fact, the average emission per vehicle grew last year to 119 grams of CO2, two more than the previous year.

.



Source link