The Philadelphia Orchestra has canceled the performance of the Spanish tenor Plácido Domingo scheduled for next September 18 within the season opening concert, as confirmed by the institution.
The orchestra has confirmed that "withdraws its invitation" to Domingo after hearing the accusations of nine women against the tenor for sexual harassment. The Philadelphia Orchestra has also announced that changes in the program and new artists will be announced later.
"We are committed to providing a safe, respectful, collaborative and appropriate environment for the orchestra and its members, as well as for guest artists, composers and our spectators," he said in a statement.
This is the first cancellation after complaints of harassment. At the moment, the president of the Salzburg Festival in Austria, Helga Rabl-Stadler, has confirmed in a statement that the event will maintain the functions planned for August 25 and 31 of Verdi's opera 'Luisa Miller' in which the tenor Placido Domingo acts, who on Tuesday has been accused by nine women of sexual harassment.
"I have known Placido Domingo for more than 25 years. In addition to his artistic competence, I was impressed from the beginning with his affectionate treatment of all festival employees," Rabl-Stadler explained in a statement. Today, tickets for the August 25 show are already sold out, while there are still tickets for August 31.
"He knows all the names, from the janitor to the secretary. He never fails to thank anyone to help him with any matter, however small. If the accusations against him had been expressed within the Festival, I'm sure he would have heard talk about it, "he said.
Domingo has also received the support of Joseph Volpe, who was the general director of the Metropolitan Opera from 1990 to 2006 and who in statements collected by Europa Press to 'The New York Times' has said he has never heard any accusation against the Spanish tenor .
"I have known Placido since he made his debut at the Met in 1968 and there was never a complaint against him for sexual harassment." He is a gentleman and cares a lot about people, "he said.
For its part, a spokesman for the Royal Opera House in London - in which a Sunday performance is also planned next year - has not confirmed to the 'NYT' if it will remain as planned, despite emphasizing that they have a "zero tolerance policy towards harassment of any kind". "But the institution has not been aware of any accusation against the tenor during his visits as an artist or conductor," he concluded.
. (tagsToTranslate) larazon.es