The Nicaraguan Police raid a critical means with Ortega and detains its director

The Nicaraguan Police raid a critical means with Ortega and detains its director



Lucía Pineda Ubau, press chief of the 100% Noticias de Nicaragua television channel, critical of the government of President Daniel Ortega, reported today that the National Police raided its offices in Managua and arrested its director and owner, Miguel Mora.

Pineda Ubau said through an audio that police officers and riot police forcefully entered the headquarters of the 100% channel, where Mora was, along with his wife, the journalist Verónica Chávez, herself, and other workers.

The press chief said that the officers detained "unjustifiably" Mora, who is director and owner of the channel 100% News.

"This is an emergency," said Pineda Ubau, who said the operation was led by the chief of judicial assistance of the National Police, Luis Alberto Pérez Olivas, accompanied by hooded agents who "came to dismantle the master."

Last week, Carlos Fernando Chamorro, director of the digital magazines Confidencial and Niú, and the television programs Esta Semana and Esta Noche, also denounced the "confiscation" of the building where this media group operates and which until now is occupied by police .

Meanwhile, the state Nicaraguan Institute of Telecommunications and Postal Services (Telcor), regulator of the sector, ordered subscription television operators to remove the 100% Noticias channel from its menu starting at 9:00 PM this Friday (03:00 GMT). Saturday).

During the day, in addition, two new complaints against Mora were presented for "inciting hatred and terrorism from their media" and social networks.

With this Friday's complaint, Mora has accumulated at least 12 similar complaints against him, all filed by supporters of the Nicaraguan government.

Mora, a journalist with a Sandinista past and now critical of the Executive, has indicated to Ortega's government that he wants to censor his media outlet by denouncing the official repression exercised since the social protests against the Executive broke out last April.

Mora has said that the complaints against him filed with the Public Ministry for allegedly inciting death, hatred and violence, is aimed at closing their environment.

Likewise, he has maintained that there is a campaign of threats and persecution against him because of his critical position with the Government.

The siege to 100% News has included censorship of its broadcasts, threats to journalists, theft of equipment and attacks of official elements to its facilities, as denounced.

"This is part of a plan that will soon come to light, and aims to put an end to the last redoubt that the population of truthful information has, to complete the paramilitary operating plan to control Nicaraguan society," denounced Mora. , who has described these threats as "State terrorism".

In addition, he has blamed President Ortega, his wife, Vice President Rosario Murillo, and the head of the National Police and consuegra of the dignitaries, Francisco Díaz, for "anything" that happens to him and his family.

The 100% Noticias channel was taken off the air at the start of the crisis for six days, and its representatives accused the government of such action, allegedly for transmitting outbreaks of violence by groups that were opposed to the new social security measures in the country. country.

On October 21, the director of 100% Noticias received the 2018 Press Freedom Grand Prize, which was awarded by the Inter-American Press Association (SIP) to independent journalism in Nicaragua.

Nicaragua is experiencing a social and political crisis that has generated protests against the government of Daniel Ortega and a balance of between 325 and 545 deaths, according to local and foreign human rights organizations, while the Executive figure in 199 deaths.

The demonstrations against Ortega began on April 18 for failed social security reforms and became a requirement for the president's resignation, after 11 years in power.

.



Source link