Maldives President Abdulla Yameen has filed a lawsuit against the results of the election in which he was defeated by the opposition Ibrahim Mohamed Solih, due to a series of complaints filed by the voters, his lawyer said today.
"We have received many credible complaints regarding the presidential election, and we believe that if those complaints affect the rights of our presidential candidate and vice president, it is necessary to present a case in court," Yameen's lawyer, Mohamed Saleem, told reporters. .
The lawyer, who did not give details about the type of evidence that would prove these irregularities, argued that the action seeks the defense of the followers of the current president.
"We feel that we must protect the rights of the members of PPM (the Progressive Party of the Maldives) and of the more than 96,000 citizens who voted for us," he said.
The Supreme Court of the archipelago has not confirmed so far whether the president's claim will be admitted.
Yameen lost the September 23 election by a margin of more than 15 points against Solih, backed by 58.3 percent of the vote, according to the results announced by the Maldivian Electoral Commission.
The result announced almost a day after the close of the schools was accepted at that time by Yameen, who appeared shortly after in a live broadcast to admit his defeat.
"The citizens of the Maldives made a decision yesterday and I accept that result," said the president, who led the nation during the last five years amid accusations of authoritarianism.
Yameen's positive reaction on the results had surprised the opponents themselves who foresee electoral fraud and the possible use of force against their supporters.
According to the Constitution of the Maldives, President Yameen must remain in office until November 17, when it is up to Solih to assume a new mandate.