The judge in the Villarejo case, Manuel García-Castellón, has issued a new order in which he orders the Internal Affairs Unit of the Police to require the Zeta Group, owner of the disappeared Interviú magazine, to register entries and exits corresponding to December 2015 and January 2016 and to do so “as soon as possible”.
The judge turns a piece of the case against Villarejo into the ‘Pablo Iglesias case’
The second vice president of the Government, Pablo Iglesias, declared in court that on January 20, 2016, he was given a copy or original of Dina Bousselham’s mobile card at the headquarters of the communication group, a version confirmed by four Zeta officials and of the Interviú magazine in its declarations before García-Castellón.
In that statement of March 2019, Iglesias already told the judge that he consulted at the Zeta headquarters its content and that he kept the card. Bousselham, who testified the same day, added that when her previous boss gave it to her some time later it was no longer working. Fifteen months had to pass since those statements so that, in the midst of a health crisis, the judge focused the investigation on the already second vice-president of the Government.
Now, Judge García-Castellón orders the police officers in the Villarejo case to obtain a “document containing the contents of their record book of visits (entries and exits collected in access control) held at their headquarters between the months of December 2015 and January 2016 at the headquarters of the Interviú magazine “, according to the aforementioned ruling to which he has had access elDiario.es. Since the events occurred, the Interviú magazine has closed and Zeta was acquired by another communication group and changed its headquarters.
The then director of the Interviú magazine, Alberto Pozas, declared before the judge that the card arrived at the magazine in an envelope anonymously. As also his deputy director, Luis Rendueles, also investigated, stated that they reported the facts to Zeta’s editorial director, Miguel Ángel Liso, and that he told them that he had sent it to the CEO, Antonio Asensio Mosbah. Liso and Asensio testified as witnesses and, like Iglesias, assured that he was called to the group’s headquarters, that an office was provided to him to check the contents of the card and that he left with it 40 minutes later. Liso informed Pozas of Iglesias’ visit and its result, according to what the former director of Interviú told the judge, and Rendueles added that this was how his director had told him what had happened.
This new attempt to boost the investigation by the judge, which is dated July 28, comes just five days after the magistrate issued another order in which put the few dozen policemen investigating thirty pieces of the macro cause Tandem to review the statement of the couple of Dina Bousselham about the complaint for theft of the mobile at the Ikea in Alcorcón in November 2015.
As happened with the order regarding Ricardo Sa Ferreira’s statement, the diligence on Interviú’s access registry insists on the line of investigation regarding the second vice-president of the Government, despite the fact that Commissioner Villarejo is still accused of revealing secrets by A copy of the card was found in his home registry with the information on his mobile phone, which was later published in three media outlets, according to Internal Affairs.
Just before this battery of proceedings began, the judge’s previous drive to investigate Pablo Iglesias had yielded a negative result. The international rogatory commission for a Welsh company to clarify the status of the card that the then Bousselham couple had sent to obtain the data, once Iglesias had given it to him – at least six months after he received it – indicated that the device was “physically intact” although its content was not accessible.
Bousselham stated in March 2019 that Iglesias gave him a device that was not working, after he said that he had been able to access it at Interviú headquarters. Recently, the former collaborator of the Podemos leader has changed its version and has told the judge that it was possible to consult its content when Iglesias gave it to her. Iglesias says that he kept the card for six months because he wanted to protect Bousselham from the “anguish” that could come from knowing that a media outlet had private information about her, just at a time when she was very affected by the information. false about the two having a romantic relationship.
The judge focuses on Pablo Iglesias
With a report from the Scientific Police of last January and the proposal of the Prosecutor’s Office, the judge called to declare Bousselham in May and managed to admit that she had made the damaging screenshots for Podemos and Iglesias published in at least three media outlets. communication and could send them to third parties. With this statement, Anticorruption and the judge agreed that Commissioner Villarejo, who had found a copy of the card at his home, was no longer the only suspect that this information was available to three media outlets.
The next step was to withdraw the status of injured Pablo Iglesias with the argument that it can no longer be established that the published material was stolen and therefore it is not possible to attribute to someone the condition of victim of a crime that does not exist. Anti-corruption, with indications that the judge and the Prosecutor’s Office had since March 2019, then considered Iglesias allegedly responsible for the crimes of revealing secrets and / or computer damage for having kept the device, with information belonging to Bousselham, for at least six months since the people in charge of Interviú magazine handed it over to him and when he did, the card was illegible. In their report, prosecutors added that if, as it seemed, Bousselham did not want to act against him, the Penal Code prevented the politician from being attributed with such crimes.
So far the joint action of the judge and the prosecutors. These proposed to García-Castellón that he quote Bousselham again and that she clarify his intentions regarding Iglesias. The magistrate refused and launched an investigation that has eclipsed the rest of the Villarejo case, leaving aside the indications against the commissioner, suspected from the beginning of having disseminated, in person or through third parties, the material of the Bousselham card. Villarejo, in provisional prison since November 2017, declared that he gave a copy of the card to the head of the PP’s political brigade, Eugenio Pino, creator of the parapolice investigations against Catalan sovereignty and Podemos.