Creative, intuitive, enthusiastic and hipster. The language of Quique Dacosta is the kitchen and to show his work he uses every format that is within his reach. Hence, it is placed before the stove in «A life, a dinner», a series produced by Mediapro and broadcast by Amazon Prime, to bring to the table four key moments of the life of its guests. They are Alejandro Sanz, Andrés Velencoso, José Mari Manzanares, Garbiñe Muguruza, Inma Cuesta and Nawja Nimri, who prepare recipes designed for each one, which serve to start a fluid conversation about their origins, successes, failures or the disappearance of some being Dear.
– Before this experience, he had already cooked his emotions, which he gave to test his mother. Did you like the dish?
-Absolutely. He could not eat it. She is the first person to try the menu of each season and in 2014 I served her «Egg among Ashes», in which I was inspired by the death of my brother.
–And now inquire into the experiences of your guests, what has been the challenge?
– The idea was to extract from each one the moments of his life that I thought were keys. Let them eat a little piece of their life. I wanted them to feel comfortable, because I look for inspiration in them. They are the chosen ones because they are characters that arouse my interest.
– Is it a cooking show?
-Do not! I seek to express myself as a cook. Tell me how I am during a season. Cooking is my language, which I use to get my experience in every possible medium, whether through books, documentaries, videos or this series.
– Conquer them with the palate, how do you get goosebumps?
– Moving them by evoking their memories. Move them to those moments that do not know that, tastefully, they are something concrete.
– Alejandro Sanz brings his mother's first caress to the table. What does it taste like?
– Chard and glutinous rice. When he tries it, I just ask him where that taste takes him. And, immediately, he started talking to me about it, because it is the first memory he has. Another of the dishes I served was prawns, which represent his friendship with Paco de Lucía. We remember his greatness toasting for him.
– Are you also a close friend of José Mari Manzanares?
-Yes. Therefore, he mourned, mourning, for the death of his father. In it, there is an ingredient that transmits bitterness and, interestingly, it is gold, because when you work it as a mineral it is bitter. The dish «Heart of bull» is the moment in which it sacrifices the animal.
–How does the language of salting evolve?
– It is a milestone, as were elaborations such as the cubalibre, the lively forest or mineralization. This year there will be a leap towards cooked salting.
–He has mentioned recipes that are an icon of gastronomy, which have been and are super copied. It bothers?
-Do not. If your work is copied or a chef is inspired by it, it is because you have disclosed it. The kitchen is an open source and I don't think you have to put barriers. Therefore, we donate knowledge.
– And in the letters of the restaurants should appear the name of the author of the shot plate?
– I do not see it necessary, although the problem is that there are times that the diner tastes it before in another place than in my house.
– Do social networks hurt the surprise effect?
– Luckily, going to a restaurant to live the experience "in situ" is what counts.
–Just received the award from the National Academy of Gastronomy. What is the business concept of the future?
– Yes I believe in haute cuisine and I am proud of my three stars, because it is a profitable business. I don't think big restaurants disappear in an increasingly open society, in which diners have more knowledge and more desire to enjoy the table.
–You cook your surroundings, how does climate change affect you?
-I'm an accomplice. Therefore, I have designed a dish called «Plastics» with which we try to raise awareness. In Dénia we witness daily dramas.