The Colombian FARC party denounced on Wednesday the murder of a demobilized in the department of Huila (south), bringing the number of ex-guerrillas killed since the signing of the 2016 peace agreement to 198.
According to the Common Alternative Revolutionary Force (FARC) Manuel Olaya, 44, was shot when he was working on a farm in the municipality of Aipe.
“With Manuel Olaya there are 198 men and women murdered by the enemies of peace. The Government is responsible for action and omission,” the FARC party wrote on its social networks.
The peace adviser in the Huila governorate, Diego Tello, told reporters that the demobilized “was shot at by unknown assailants while doing field work.”
Due to the murders of its militants, the FARC asked the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) for precautionary measures to protect the ex-combatants.
In a virtual meeting held last Tuesday, the party that emerged from the demobilization of the guerrillas, the Human Rights Foundation of Eastern Colombia and the Permanent Committee for the Defense of Human Rights (CPDH) called for precautionary measures to protect more of 10,000 ex-combatants who are rejoining civilian life.
The ex-combatants, says the FARC, are “seriously threatened” in the territories in what it called “a systematic extermination against the signatories of the final peace agreement”, which shows that the National Government by action and omission has not guaranteed the obligations contained in the American Convention on Human Rights. ”
On December 31 of last year the UN warned that last year at least 77 ex-guerrillas were killed in Colombia, and also denounced 14 disappearances and 29 attempted homicides.
Those murders led the agency to classify 2019 as “the most violent year” for the ex-FARC guerrillas who accepted the Colombian peace agreement.