The Canary Islands highlights that it provides aid to those affected by the La Palma volcano in record time


The president of the Canary Islands Government, Angel Victor Torres, He stressed today that, although he understands that the affected families want to obtain aid as soon as possible, this unprecedented emergency in the recent history of the Islands is registering the faster delivery of grants, housing and essential assets by different administrations of which there is evidence in the Archipelago, especially when compared with antecedents such as the 2005 Delta storm or the 2010 Tenerife floods.

Torres attended this morning, together with the Minister of the Presidency, Felix Bolaños, the president of Cabildo of La Palma, Mariano Hernandez Zapata, and other authorities, to a new meeting of the Mixed Commission for the Reconstruction of La Palma and from Steering Committee of the Special Plan for Civil Protection and Attention to Emergencies due to Volcanic Risk of the Canary Islands (Pevolca) in the Cabildo palmero.

Torres and the Minister of the Presidency also held two meetings this morning with the Cumbre Vieja Volcano Social Association and the Platform Association of People Affected by the Eruption of Cumbre Vieja Volcano 2021, of which he highlighted their contributions to face this emergency, as well as the unity of action that continues to govern between the different governments.

At the press conference, the president alluded to the different decrees that the Government of the Canary Islands has been approving so far in support of La Palma, some of which have already been validated by the regional Parliament. He also referred to the calls published for the delivery of subsidies for affected SMEs and self-employed, for the agricultural sector or for obtaining equipment for new homes. In this sense, he stressed the importance of the single registry created to achieve maximum agility, but, at the same time, the most solid legal guarantees.

1,000 files per week

Torres emphasized this legal part because, although it is the greatest emergency in the history of La Palma, some cases have already been detected in which they have been contributed inaccurate details of your situation. “Most of those affected report their situation honestly and honestly, but everything must be analyzed to preserve the legal part,” he warned.

In addition, he announced that, if the forecasts are met, “We expect to be able to process a thousand files each week, with 400 requests for aid and immediate delivery. “He also recalled that the regional government pays for the urgent accommodation of 545 people in three hotels on the island, which have already been assigned 15 homes with their corresponding equipment, which last Friday were acquired 46 more houses with regional and central government funds and that will be delivered next week, apart from starting the installation of some of the prefabricated buildings acquired by the Community on the land donated by the municipalities of Los Llanos de Aridane and El Paso.

The President of the Canary Islands also highlighted that the Insurance Compensation Consortium has already contributed 60 million euros to some 300 affected families, a figure that Minister Bolaños said will eventually rise to about 90 million.

Torres reiterated his wish that the eruption “end as soon as possible. I hope it is tomorrow, better than the day after,” he said. As he underlined, no one should leave La Palma due to a phenomenon that, yes, is greatly affecting the economy and La Palma tree society, although he trusts that the unity of action will be reflected in a reconstruction and a relaunch of the island in the middle and long term as successful as possible.

New extraordinary line of rental aid

The president also announced that during the celebration of the Mixed Commission for the Reconstruction, Recovery and Support of La Palma, the Minister of Public Works, Transport and Housing, Sebastián Franquis, reported that his department is planning the start-up of a new Extraordinary line of aid aimed at paying rent to those families affected by the eruption of the volcano in Cumbre Vieja to guarantee them a temporary home while their houses are rebuilt, after having lost them due to the volcanic wash.

As explained by the president, many affected families have expressed to the technical team of social workers that they prefer to have their rent paid for a more or less long period of time in a place where they are more adapted to being given a home. provisional as the Government is already doing in Tazacorte and Fuencaliente.

This new line of rental aid planned by the Ministry of Public Works, Transport and Housing, will be paid to those affected who request it for a maximum period of 36 months, extendable, where appropriate, until the reconstruction of the house is possible. or the provision of a new one. Both owners of homes destroyed or declared uninhabitable, as well as tenants who lived in a home also destroyed or declared in ruins as a result of the eruption, may apply for this aid.

63 floors acquired and 17 delivered

The Ministry, through the public company Visocan, has already acquired 63 flats in Tazacorte and Fuencaliente. Of these, 17 have already been handed over to affected families. The latest promotion acquired last Friday is 46 homes in a building located in the center of Tazacorte.

The public company now manages the purchase of another 29 flats in Los Llanos de Aridane, which would end the year with 92 houses bought and made available for the housing emergency.

In addition, the Canarian Housing Institute (ICAVI) has six homes in the La Palma public park that are empty and that will be made available to evicted families in need through a second adjudication. These homes are being adapted and equipped with kitchens to proceed with their delivery in the coming weeks.

30 units of the 200 initially planned for modular houses have also been purchased, and for their installation the state of the floors offered is pending. In principle, the municipalities of Los Llanos and El Paso have urbanized land and have shown their interest in housing these prefabricated houses, so their installation will begin once the cession of the land by the municipalities is certified.

Minister Bolaños reiterated that the central government has been with La Palma from day one and that its commitment will only end when the total reconstruction is completed, with “record” deadlines in the delivery and management of aid.

.



Source link