Kobe Bryant, NBA legend, passed away this Sunday with his daughter Gianna and seven other people in a helicopter accident in and around Los Angeles. The tragic event occurred before 10 am (local time) in the steep hills of Calabasas, northwest of the city.
The last thing that has come to light is the last contact with the helicopter seconds before the fatal accident, a very quick conversation between the pilot and the control tower. The reason is still unknown, but everything indicates that fog and poor visibility are the most possible causes.
This was what was heard in the recording between the control tower and the pilot:
- Pilot: Torre, can we go on and start turning southwest?
- Tower: 72EX helicopter, approved. Are you going towards visible visibility conditions?
- Pilot: Visibility conditions in 1500.
- Tower: 72EX helicopter, thanks. Contact control now at 134.2 for flight tracking.
- Pilot: 34.2.
- Control: 72EX helicopter. (They realize that the pilot does not hear them from a bad radio signal and low altitude.)
- Control: 72EX helicopter. Are you following a code 1200. So, are you requesting flight tracking?
- Control: 72EX helicopter. Can you tell us your intentions?
- Control: 72EX helicopter. You keep flying too low to follow you right now.
A camera captured the sound of impact
A security camera on a street in Calabasas has captured the exact moment of the impact of the helicopter in which Kobe Bryant and eight other people were traveling. North American television has recreated the moment of the helicopter crash.
At 9:45:22 is when the helicopter can be heard flying over the house that had the security camera and, later, at 9:45:40 you can perceive the sound of the impact.
A drone shows images of the accident area
The National Transport Safety Board (NTSB) shared this Tuesday a video taken by a drone in which the accident zone is covered where Bryant died with his daughter Gigi and seven others.
In the video you can see the remains of the aircraft on the hill of Calabasas and to the personnel in charge of the investigation, which analyzes the remains in the area of the tragedy. The violence of the impact and the accident can be observed, with the helicopter shattered in thousands of pieces.