September 21, 2020

The architect Renzo Piano will rebuild the sunken bridge in Genoa | Culture

The architect Renzo Piano will rebuild the sunken bridge in Genoa | Culture


The architect Renzo Piano will sign the most anticipated project in his hometown, Genoa. A consortium formed by the Italian companies Salini Impregilo, Fincantieri and Italferr will rebuild with the design of the Pritzker Prize the enormous viaduct whose collapse caused 43 deaths in August.

This was announced on Tuesday by the mayor of the city, who is also the person in charge of the reconstruction, Marco Bucci, who called the news a "remarkable step forward". The award of the project to Piano had been advanced a few hours earlier by the newspaper La Repubblica

Digital modeling of the Piano project.
Digital modeling of the Piano project. Salini Impregilo

The project will cost 202 million euros, excluding VAT, and works are expected to be completed by the end of 2019. "We will have the bridge completed by 2020 […] Not yet operational, but so that people can already take pictures, "said Bucci.

Piano has imagined a bridge with a steel roof of 1,100 meters in length, with 19 pillars of elliptical base separated at a distance of 50 meters, except two, which will be 100 meters apart to save the river and railroad tracks, according to a statement by Salini Impregilo. "The design takes into account the fact that the bridge crosses a densely populated area," explains the company.

Side perspective of the project.
Side perspective of the project.

The remains of what was the Morandi bridge, a name that will be lost when it is rebuilt, as the commissar said, began to be demolished three days ago.

The architect Renzo Piano will be the technical supervisor of the reconstruction, after accepting the commission from Bucci to participate in the whole project. Piano signed the Botín Center, in Santander, inaugurated in 2017. One of his best-known works, by the hand of Richard Rogers, is the Georges Pompidou Center in Paris. He also participated in the reconstruction of a part of the Postdamer Platz in Berlin and at the headquarters of The New York Times.

Balance of 43 dead

Last August 14 collapsed a section of a viaduct of the A-10 motorway in the Italian city of Genoa. About 100 meters of both tracks fell to the ground and caused, in the instant or in the following days, as a result of the wounds, 43 dead. The viaduct, 1,182 meters long and 45 meters high, was built on an urban area with numerous shopping centers, residential buildings and industrial areas. In the collapse some thirty cars and three trucks fell into the void.

The Genoa prosecutor's office then opened an investigation to try to clarify the reasons for the incident. Twenty people were investigated in the process, including executives of Autostrade, the company responsible for the maintenance of the viaduct. The Italian government threatened to take away the concession from the company and guaranteed that it would not be in charge of the demolition or reconstruction of the bridge.

Rejected the project of Calatrava

The Spanish Santiago Calatrava, who also opted for the contest to rebuild the bridge with the Italian industrial group Cimolai, made himself available to the authorities to "help if necessary" and said it would be "an honor" to collaborate, explained the mayor of Genoa. . Cimolai has reported in a statement that his project was only aimed at "service to the country" and will not appeal. The mayor of Genoa said that all projects have reached a "high level" and said he was "very proud" of the participation and the final success.

.



Source link