August 3, 2021

Surgical activity in the Canary Islands increased by 9.4% compared to 2015 – The Province

Surgical activity in the Canary Islands increased by 9.4% compared to 2015 - The Province


He Health Advisor of the Government of the Canary Islands, José Manuel Baltar, informed this morning in the Health Commission of the regional government that the surgical activity carried out by the Canary Islands Health Service (SCS) has increased by 9.4% in 2017, compared to the one in 2015. Following this line, during the last year a total of 134,548 interventions have been carried out, which has also reduced the lists of wait.

"The most important thing for the Ministry of Health is to solve the health problems of patients with quality, safety and in the shortest time possible," said the counselor. He also indicated that of the total number of operations performed, 80% were performed in public hospitals. The remaining 20% ​​was made through the concerts and contracts with the concert centers.

As regards the procedure for referring patients to the agreed centers, Baltar He indicated that it is a protocolized process that is directly managed by hospitals and the Health Area Directorates, which determine health centers.

As for the reduction of the waiting lists, the Minister of Health explained that the data of the last cut reflect a decrease of 16.5% and that is the result of work carried out during the last year. A decrease that translates into a 23.6% in the number of patients who have been waiting for more than six months to undergo an intervention.

Likewise, the specialties in which waiting lists have fallen the most are those related to General Surgery, Ophthalmology, Traumatology, Otorhinolaryngology and Urology, which together achieve a decrease of 18.5% of the total.

This decrease also occurred in the waiting list for first consultation with the specialist, which was reduced by 16%, especially in Rehabilitation, Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Digestive and General Surgery.

In diagnostic tests, the waiting list increased in 125 patients, although the activity in diagnostic tests increased by more than 43,000 tests, 6% more.

.



Source link