March 8, 2021

Royal Caribbean and Norwegian leave their ships stopped due to the coronavirus



The Royal Caribbean Cruises company announced this Friday that it suspends all its cruises in the United States for 30 days from this Saturday due to the coronavirus, a similar measure to that taken by Norwegian Cruise Lines, which suspended theirs until April 11.

Royal Caribbean, which has the Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara and Silversea Cruises brands, and is number one in revenue for all cruise companies, said in a statement that “it understands the severity of the health crisis” created for this pandemic, which in the US It has caused 41 deaths so far, according to figures from the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control.

“This is what we have to do. So starting at midnight, we are going to stop the crossings of our fleet in the United States for 30 days,” said a statement from the company.

Royal Caribbean, based in Miami, affirms that it is already contacting passengers and crew to try to “minimize” the inconvenience that this decision may cause them.

Norwegian Cruise Line, the third largest company in the sector, also announced that it will have six ships on the docks between March 13 and April 11, which also affects its Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises brands.

“‘We understand the inconvenience this measure may cause to our passengers and travel partners in these rapidly changing and challenging times, and we appreciate your understanding of our partnership with local, state, federal and local agencies to combat the spread of COVID-19,” NCLH President and CEO Frank del Río said.

The current trips will end, the passengers will disembark as soon as possible and they will be help to make their travel arrangements.

Vice President Mike Pence, in charge of coordinating the national response to the coronavirus, mentioned today in a press conference at the White House the “pause” that some cruise companies have decided to make, a measure that, he said, has been praised. by the Department of Homeland Security.

This Thursday the cruise company Princess Cruises, the second largest in the world by turnover, announced this Thursday the suspension for 60 days of all its trips due to the expansion of the coronavirus.

The company, which has already seen how the disease affected two of its cruises, will paralyze its 18 ships until May 10, announced its president, Jan Swartz.

From Italy, one of the countries most affected by the pandemic, the Costa Cruises company announced this Friday that it is suspending all its trips in the world until April 3, as a precaution against the expansion of the coronavirus.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) They have recommended that Americans, especially those with health problems, postpone their cruise travel, which has been a setback for a sector badly affected by the coronavirus.

In a recent report, the Bloomberg agency indicated that the three largest cruise operators have lost more than half their market value in less than two months, which is equivalent to more than 42,000 million dollars.

.



Source link