Racism, ideology and sexual orientation are the focus of hate crimes despite falling complaints of confinement


Racism, ideology and sexual orientation are the focus of hate crimes despite falling complaints of confinement

The crimes and hate incidents reported during 2020 to the State Security Forces and Bodies decreased by 17.9% due to confinement, according to data collected by the Ministry of the Interior and to which it has had access elDiario.es. With or without limiting their presence on the street, for yet another year racism, ideology and discrimination based on sexual orientation once again led the number of complaints.

Up to 485 people who were attacked because of the color of their skin or their foreign origin reported the events. This is only 5.8% less than in 2019 despite the months of confinement. It so happens that racism is the leading cause of reported hate crimes ahead of ideology, unlike what happened in 2019. However, in that previous year of 2019 there was already an increase in Hate crimes related to skin color of 20.9% compared to 2018.

The restrictions also did not prevent complaints of discrimination based on gender and sexual orientation from rising from 69 to 99, a 43.5% increase. The Ministry of the Interior offers the number of discriminatory acts by gender and sexual orientation jointly – the aforementioned increase of 43.5% -, but also breaks them down. The incidents reported for hatred towards people because of their sexual orientation remained practically compared to 2019 despite the pandemic: from 278 to 277. But the crimes and incidents reported related to the mere fact of being a woman grew from 69 to 99.

In total, 1,401 complaints of hate crimes or incidents were registered in Spain in the twelve months of 2020 compared to 1,706 the previous year, according to the Report on the Evolution of Hate Crimes. This report also leaves other striking data. For example, in the year of the pandemic, incidents reported for discrimination against people with disabilities (44 cases) and 57.1% against people for the simple fact of being ill (13 cases) grew by 69.2%.

The data collected by the Ministry of the Interior makes it possible to make a robot portrait of the detainee or investigated for hate crime in 2020: a Spanish male, between 26 and 40 years old, who is targeted by the Security Forces for having issued threats, injuries or have publicly incited hatred. 77.4% of those arrested or investigated were Spanish, while the remaining 22.6% were Moroccans and Romanians.

Social networks are a mirror of what happens on the street. Ideology, racism and sexual orientation also have the highest number of incidents of this type on the Internet, a total of 147 of the 1,401 reported during 2020.

Despite this, the street continues to be the place where the most hate crimes are committed, 511 of the 1,401 registered. It is followed by the houses, where 315 incidents were registered. And in third place, bars and other entertainment venues, with 212 cases. Soccer fields and other sports facilities tripled in incidents to places of worship, from 71 in the first case to 20 in the second.

The statistics of the Ministry of the Interior collect other figures by type of incident. For example, aporophobia, or hatred of the poor, which registered ten cases. Or anti-Gypsyism, of which a total of 22 were counted. For religious beliefs or practices, 45 cases of discrimination were known. Even older people provoked hatred from those detained or investigated for the fact that they were in ten cases.

.



Source link