The candidate for the presidency of FC Barcelona Jordi Farré has come this morning to the club offices to start the procedures to activate a motion of censure against the Board of Directors chaired by Josep Maria Bartomeu.
“As I said yesterday, I have just presented a letter to contest the vote of no-confidence against Josep Maria Bartomeu and his entire board, they cannot be in charge of the club for another minute. It is time for deeds and not words. # Votcensura2020”, has tweeted Farré shortly after 9 o’clock. An initiative that starts from the opposition culé, like the group Manifest Blaugrana, has criticized for not being done in a coordinated manner.
As I will say here, I have just presented a letter for the sole purpose of bidding a vote of censure against Josep Maria Bartomeu and the entire board of directors, they cannot be even one minute at the head of the club.
It’s time for fets and not for paraules. # votcensura2020 pic.twitter.com/oOLX1TT05t
– Jordi Farré? (@JordifarreFcb) August 26, 2020
Farré considers that the announcement of Messi of wanting to leave the FC Barcelona, via burofax, “it is one more example of the mess that exists in the entity.” Farré believes that FC Barcelona “does not deserve” that Lionel messi leave the club like this. “The only way he can leave Barça is with his retirement as a player and with a statue at the Camp Nou.”
Last night, the association Manifest Blaugrana announced its intention to support a motion of censure against the board of directors of Josep María Bartomeu, like the one that the group of partners El Cor Blaugrana was preparing, if not “redirect Messi’s situation and ensure his continuity to, at least, complete the 2020-2021 season” and “resign from immediate way to give way to a Management Commission that call elections as soon as possible “ to the presidency of Barcelona.
‘Manifest Blaugrana’, created in 2014 and that after the debacle against Bayern Munich He has already requested the resignation of President Bartomeu and an advancement of the elections, he said in a statement that he gives the board until this Friday to carry out the aforementioned steps. If not, it will present “a motion of censure immediately.”
Requests for immediate resignation
Other candidates jumped yesterday to demand the resignation of the Barcelona president. Victor Font He had tweeted that in the event that Bartomeu continues without resigning and does not call elections as soon as possible, his candidacy, ‘Yes to the Future’, “will actively support the motion of censure already underway.”
Joan Laporta demanded for his part the immediate resignation of the current board. “Bartomeu and his board must resign immediately. They have been undermining Messi’s morale to save themselves from the economic and sporting mess they have created. If they resigned there would still be hope that Messi will stay at Barça “, explained on his twitter account the one who was the maximum leader of the Culé entity between 2003 and 2010.
He was referring to the one promoted by another platform in the Barça environment, ‘Més que una moció’ (‘More than a motion’), which was presented publicly on July 29 and created a web page (mocio2020.cat) to collect support ‘online ‘. But so far she has not gone to get the ballots to start the motion officially.
15% of the census
Any vote of no confidence will need gather at least 15% census support electoral club (in 2013 the Assembly of Compromisarios approved that the percentage be increased from 5 to 15%), some 16,000 signatures, so that it goes ahead. According to the club’s Bylaws, there are 14 business days from the day after the ballots are collected. Since 2018, when the Assembly of Committees approved it, Saturdays count as business days.
In the event that the platform exceeds that required 15%, the club should hold a referendum that would only entail the removal of the current board of directors if at least 66.6% of the voters so wanted. In addition, the club’s bylaws specify that, in the event of not reaching the necessary support, “a new motion of censure cannot be raised for the same reasons until one year after the voting took place.”
The The last motion of censure in Barcelona was the one promoted by Agustí Benedito, twice a candidate for the club’s presidency and a pre-candidate for the next elections, and his right hand, Lluís Geli, during the summer of 2017.
In any case, the attempt to remove the board of directors of Josep Maria Bartomeu did not come to fruition because Benedito and Geli only got 12,504 of the 16,570 required signatures. Although these could not be made official because they were destroyed by the drivers before being delivered to the club.