A new victim has reported to the priest José Manuel Ramos Gordón for sexual abuse between 1979 and 1985, when the former student was between 11 and 16 years old. The events took place at the Zamorano school Juan XXIII in Puebla de Sanabria, at night, when the children were already sleeping. The accusation came through a letter certified last Thursday to the bishop of Astorga and president of the commission antipederastia de the Spanish Episcopal Conference José Antonio Menéndez. However, the diocese has not yet made any statement about it.
The accused priest, José Manuel Ramos GordónHe has already been judged canonically twice between 2015 and 2017. One for abusing at least three minors at the La Bañeza seminar (León) between 1989 and 1990 and another for the same acts against a child in that same school, John XXIII, at the beginning of the eighties. On both occasions he was found guilty.
The new complainant, who lives abroad and wants to remain anonymous, has explained to EL PAÍS that in July 2017 he sent a first letter to the bishop when he heard about Ramos Gordón's cases of pedophilia in the press, but says that nobody The bishop contacted him, although he admits that he sent the letter without certification. Several ex-seminarians from La Bañeza have informed this newspaper that they have evidence of more victims of Ramos Gordón between 1987 and 1990.
The first case against the priest, which ended with a year-long sentence of spiritual exercises, was silenced by Menendez, who allowed the parish where he was officiating at that moment, in Tábara (Zamora) to pay tribute to him before being separated. That led to Javier, the first victim who reported abuses, to go to the media. And the news of Javier's complaint motivated a former student of the Juan XXIII school to denounce Ramos Gordón for the same crimes. It was then that the Vatican ordered the case reopened and the abuser was sentenced to be separated from the diocese of Astorga for 10 years. The pedophile began to serve that sentence earlier this year.
Denial of the case file
The Congregation of the Doctrine of Faith has denied Javier, the first victim to denounce, the sentence and the file of the process he requested at the end of last year. The Vatican has justified the denial of the petition because "this documentation is subject to pontifical secrecy." However, according to the canonical code, the parties to the process (whistleblower and denounced) have the right to have the sentence and certain acts of the instruction.
Javier says that during the investigation of his case, no one in the diocese explained that he had the right to request compensation and to be able to appeal the ruling if he wanted it, for which he would also need access to the documentation he has requested in several occasions to the bishopric and to Rome. "In those files appear many concealers. They have a lot to hide and it is clear that they have no intention of changing. The summit in Rome next February, and if not the time, will be a facelift. They do not treat the victims that we exist", Javier has declared to this newspaper.