The Peruvian authorities announced that they will promote the entrance of tourists on foot to the ruins of the Inca citadel of Machu Picchu by the route that the American explorer Hiram Bingham used in 1911 to reach the top of the mountain and make known that ancient city to whole world.
The new head of the Archaeological Park of Machu Picchu, José Bastante, announced to the official Andean agency that the stones where a rudimentary bridge made of trunks was supported by Bingham used to cross the Vilcanota River and undertake the ascent to the ruins are identified.
This bridge was located 30 meters from the current bridge used by the bus caravan that moves to the entrance of the complex to most of the around 4,000 tourists who visit it on average every day.
"Tourists often want to walk and the current route does not provide the security conditions, in some sections tourists decide to walk parallel to the bus route," explained Pretty.
The head of the Machu Picchu park indicated that the project will consist of improving the conditions of that road and offering historical information about the arrival of Bingham to the place, which made the Inca citadel famous worldwide.
In the lower part of the road an infographic will be placed with photos of the Bingham expedition and details of the day of its ascent to Machu Picchu.
"Many more visitors will want to go this route," said Bastante, who recently succeeded archaeologist Fernando Astete.
Currently only a few tourists choose to climb on foot to the ruins from the town of Machu Picchu, a journey that takes about 45 minutes to save a gap of 400 meters to reach the 2,400 meters of altitude on which sits the complex Inca
Machu Picchu is recognized since 1983 as a cultural heritage of humanity by UNESCO, and since 2007 is considered one of the new seven wonders of the world.