Panama destroys almost 7 tons of drugs seized this year

Panama destroys almost 7 tons of drugs seized this year



The Panamanian authorities burned a total of 6.8 tons of drugs that were seized this year, most of which corresponded to cocaine, in a landfill on the outskirts of the capital.

The National Police indicated that the incineration took place in the dump of La Chorrera, a dormitory located on the other side of the Panama Canal, and explained that 72 percent of the incinerated drug was cocaine and the remaining 28 percent corresponds to other narcotics

"In recent weeks, the security forces have dealt accurate blows to drug trafficking and, as a demonstration of this, today 6.8 tons of drugs seized in the various operations are destroyed," said the Deputy Director of Judicial Investigation of the National Police, Manuel Bonome

The Panamanian government recently launched two major operations to combat drug trafficking by land, sea and air that will focus on fifty vulnerable communities throughout the country and that will have the support of Colombia, Costa Rica and the United States.

The Panamanian president, Juan Carlos Varela, said during the launch of the operations that in the last four years the production of cocaine in Colombia has quadrupled and has gone from 50,000 hectares to more than 200,000.

Panama seized last year at least 84.6 tons of drugs, mostly cocaine, a record figure according to official data.

.



Source link