Nephew of ex-general accused detained for failed attacks in Venezuela



The Venezuelan Armed Forces (Fanb) reported this Sunday the apprehension of eight people whom it linked to the two frustrated maritime incursions against the Government of Nicolás Maduro last week, as the number of arrests for these events rises to Four. Five.

"(La) Fanb continues to guarantee the security of the nation, today we have captured eight mercenary terrorists today," Fanb's strategic operational commander, Remigio Ceballos, said on Twitter.

On public television VTV it was reported after one of the detainees is a nephew of former Venezuelan general Clíver Alcalá, whom the Venezuelan authorities accuse of having planned the failed attacks and of being involved in drug trafficking.

Alcalá Cordones was a close collaborator of the late Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez (1999-2013), but distanced himself from Maduro, a former bus driver who has ruled the South American country since 2013.

The former military man surrendered to the US justice system, which accuses him of drug trafficking, last March, after publicly pointing out that he conspired to overthrow Maduro with the support of the Venezuelan opposition.

"THE HEAD"

On Venezuelan public television, it was also said this Saturday that the nephew of Alcalá Cordones was "the ringleader of the group" who made the first maritime incursion last Sunday, May 3, on the beaches of the state of La Guaira, near Caracas.

That day, eight of the attackers were shot to death with Venezuelan security forces, two others were detained and an undetermined number fled the fray, authorities said at the time.

A day later, thirteen attackers were detained off the coast of Aragua state, including former US military personnel Luke Denman and Airan Berry, who they said in interrogation that they worked for the military contractor Silvercorp.

Maduro said Saturday that the attackers "came out cheap," in relation to the number of people killed during the clashes.

He also insisted on accusing the governments of Colombia and the United States, as well as the head of the Venezuelan Parliament, Juan Guaidó, of having prepared the attacks through Silvercorp.

GUAIDÓ, USA AND COLOMBIA REJECT ACCUSATIONS

But Guaidó, who is recognized by 50 countries as interim president, like the United States and Colombia, have denied these extremes.

In that sense, the Venezuelan president said yesterday that Duque denies the accusations of cowardice, in view of the failure of the incursions.

Maduro also indicated that he will keep the so-called "Bolivarian shield" activated, 24 hours a day, a series of military exercises that involve the deployment of troops and weapons throughout the Caribbean nation.

.



Source link