Fri. Apr 3rd, 2020

More than half of new infections in South Korea originated outside



South Korea, a country that has not limited the movements of its citizens and keeps its borders open despite the coronavirus pandemic, reported today the detection of 100 new cases on Tuesday, of which 51 originated abroad.

It is the first time that imported cases outnumber infections produced within the Asian country since the great outbreak was discovered in the southeast region on February 18.

As reported Wednesday by the Korean Center for the Control and Prevention of Communicable Diseases (KCDC), of the 100 new cases (24 more than those reported the day before), 34 were detected at airports, where all passengers from Europe.

In turn, 17 other cases detected today in different parts of the country were from people who were infected outside, added the KCDC.

Almost 85% of these 51 imported positive cases were from South Korean citizens who have returned to their country, while the remaining 15% are foreigners.

For the past four days, South Korea has been subjecting all those from Europe to analysis and forcing them to quarantine for 14 days regardless of the result.

Given the increase in cases from North America, South Korea announced today that it will do the same with all those from this region starting this Friday.

With the 100 cases detected on Tuesday, South Korea adds 9,137 infections, of which 5,281 are active cases (129 less than the day before), taking into account the 3,730 people cured (there were 223 discharges on Tuesday) and the 126 deaths linked the pathogen (six occurred on Tuesday).

In any case, South Korea, which became the second country in the world most affected by the pathogen, has managed to reduce and stabilize the number of new infections in recent weeks and has not exceeded 200 daily infections since March 11. thanks to its large-scale testing system and exhaustive tracking of possible infections.

The case-fatality rate of the virus in the Asian country also remains low at the moment, at 1.38%.

Regardless of their origin, the majority of infections identified on Tuesday corresponded to the capital region, which registered 35 cases, 13 of them in Seoul, one in the city of Incheon and 21 in the adjacent Gyeonggi province.

It is the second time that the region that concentrates more than half of the country’s population, 26 million, adds more cases per day than the main focus of the country, located in the city of Daegu (about 230 kilometers southeast of Seoul) and the surrounding North Gyeongsang province, which despite concentrating 84% of all national infections only totaled 19 cases on Tuesday.

.



Source link