Miami Mayor seeks to ban travel to Cuba due to coronavirus



Miami, Mar 12 (EFE) -. Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Giménez asked Florida Governor Ron DeSantis on Thursday to intervene with US President Donald Trump to ban flights from Cuba, where three cases of coronavirus have occurred, according to official sources of the island.

"We already know that the virus is in Cuba, and since I do not believe the Cuban government, I am sure there are more cases," said Cuban-American Giménez, accompanied by DeSantis, who showed his support for the initiative.

The Government of Cuba reported on Wednesday the first positive cases of coronavirus infection in three Italian tourists visiting the island, who were treated Tuesday for respiratory symptoms when they were in the city of Trinidad, in the central province of Sancti Spíritus. .

"I am asking the governor for help asking the president to also include Cuba in the list of those countries that should not be traveled to," he said.

Trump announced on Wednesday the suspension, for at least 30 days, of travel from 26 European countries to the United States to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

As part of its policy towards Cuba, the Trump government has increasingly restricted commercial and charter company travel to the island, and there are currently only a dozen daily flights from Miami International Airport, according to Giménez.

The mayor accompanied DeSantis at a press conference in which the governor reported on the incidence of the pandemic in Florida, where two people affected by CONVID-19 have died.

The Florida Department of Health detected six new cases Wednesday and the first in Miami-Dade, of a 56-year-old man who is stable and who had recently traveled to Iran.

In total, 34 cases have already been detected in Florida, and there are 151 people waiting to know the results of the tests.

One in three cases of contagion in the state comes from a cruise ship that traveled on the Nile River, they detailed at the joint press conference.

To curb the spread of the virus, DeSantis, who had already announced level two emergency, recommended canceling mass events for more than 250 people.

.



Source link