María José Carrascosa: Spanish prisoner arrested in New York for eight years for taking her daughter from the United States | Society

María José Carrascosa: Spanish prisoner arrested in New York for eight years for taking her daughter from the United States | Society

María José Carrascosa has been held at the JFK airport in New York when trying to enter the United States. The Valencian lawyer is waiting for Immigration to make a decision on her, as she has pointed out to Antena 3. If they allow her access or she is deported to London, where she came from. Carrascosa was imprisoned for eight years in New Jersey after a trial that sentenced her to 14 years for contempt and kidnapping. The Valencian took her daughter from the US and took her to Spain without the permission of her father, Peter Innes, who denounced her.

José Carrascosa, father of the lawyer, said on Wednesday morning that he did not know that his daughter had traveled to the US and that she had the intention of entering the country, in statements made to the Valencian regional radio station À Punt. Carrascosa lives and works in London, in the company of her daughter, who studied in Oxford, as her grandfather explained. He was released on probation in 2015.

María José Carrascosa starred in a very controversial case in the first decade of this century for the judicial controversy with his ex-husband on account of the custody of his daughter. A Spanish court granted her custody of her daughter Victoria, but another American gave it to the father. In November 2006, a year after taking the girl to Spain, Carrascosa was arrested during a stay in the US and in 2009 she was sentenced to 14 years in prison on charges of contempt and kidnapping.

María José Carrascosa and Innes were married for five years, until in 2004 they decided to separate and signed an agreement stating that neither party could take the girl out of the country - then four years - without the consent of the other. The minor's US passport was placed in the custody of Lesvenich & Marzano-Lesvenich's office.

However, that office delivered the passport to María José Carrascosa and she took the girl to Spain in January 2005. Then the woman returned to the US and in 2006 she was arrested and entered prison, where, according to the authorities of this country, would remain until he returned the girl or complete the sentence that is 14 years in prison.

Since then, Carrascosa refused to reach an agreement with her husband, whom he accused of assaulting her and even trying to poison her and kill her. The mediation attempts between the parties and the corresponding authorities proved unsuccessful.

María José Carrascosa argued that the authorities of her country have also ruled on this case and had prohibited the girl from leaving Spanish territory until she was 18 years old.

His ex-partner asked for his conditional release

After being sentenced, the Valencian requested on several occasions probation. In 2012, the judicial authorities of New Jersey rejected for the second time the petition filed on that occasion by their ex-husband. Peter Innes asked the agency to release her "immediately" and send her back to Spain, where their daughter is, arguing that holding her in prison was "not at all" because she is "mentally ill," according to a copy of the letter sent to the agency Efe.

Finally, the judicial authorities granted her conditional release in April 2015 and upon leaving the jail in the city of Hackensack, in the state of New Jersey, María José Carrascosa stated that in the last hours she had experienced "an accumulation of sensations" and he had to take up his own life to overcome almost nine years that had been imprisoned in the US.

"I have a lot of things to do, I have to put on the shoes of my life, I have worn my shoes from a life that was not mine," Carrascosa said shortly after she had the first telephone contact with her daughter Victoria. That moment was 15 years old.

"We have both been crying like two Magdalenas," he added, affirming that he had "an incredible desire to give him a hug" and that his idea was to return to Spain and reunite with his daughter and his parents, although he acknowledged that there were still legal procedures that resolve before US authorities allowed him to leave the country.


Source link