Thu. Apr 25th, 2019

Madrid reviews the project of a regasification plant for Gran Canaria - La Provincia

Madrid reviews the project of a regasification plant for Gran Canaria - La Provincia


The Ministry for the Ecological Transition studies "at this moment", said yesterday in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Secretary of State for Energy, José Domínguez Abascal, the relevance of a regasification plant in Gran Canaria in the current context of intense penetration of renewable energies . Currently, around 20% of themixEnergy of the Archipelago is covered with clean generation sources and the remaining 80%, through the combustion of fuel in power plants.

Sponsored Ads

Advertise Here

"Probably when that project was identified, the situation was different, there was not the penetration of renewables that exists today, nor what will be in a few years, so we have to evaluate it in the new context of the transition and that is what we are doing ", assured the Secretary of State.

Probably caught in a resign, Dominguez Abascal did not realize that the possibility of a regasification in Gran Canaria is ruled out at the present time. The final decision is in the hands of the Cabildo de la Isla and its president,Antonio Morales, has made his opposition to that possibility clear.

However, Dominguez Abascal, explained that it is an initiative that presents "quite complex" and that his team is "studying at this time." To this he added that the pertinence of having this fuel for electricity generation on the Island will be "valued", but always "from the perspective of maximizing the penetration of renewables" in the Canary Islands.

The Minister of Economy, Industry, Trade and Knowledge of the Government of the Canary Islands,Pedro Ortega, attended impassively to the statements of the Secretary of State. It would have been enough for the latter to look to see that he was sliding down a slope that no one is passing.

Ortega does not even name the possibility of gas in Gran Canaria. He has long opted not to feed a sterile polemic that has never reported any revenue to the Executive of the Islands. When asked is limited to exposing that the basic pillars of its policy are the commitment to the "maximum possible presence of renewable energy," and "efficiency and energy saving." To this he adds his wish that the current fuel burned in power plants be replaced by "a less polluting hydrocarbon". Without naming it, and he takes special care in not doing it so as not to rekindle the noise flame, the counselor talks about liquefied natural gas.

Another proof that in Gran Canaria the debate is exhausted is the absence of procedures in the direction of enabling the regasification. The Cabildo de Tenerife does want to have the gas to fuel its industry and reduce the emissions of harmful gases. In such a way that in a cyclical way appears inthe boardcurrently the regasification plant of Granadilla, in the south of the island. True that to date it does so to collect court judgments and reports - from the National Commission of Markets and Competition (CNMC) - contrary to its implementation. About the regasificadora of Gran Canaria, not even that.

When Domínguez Abascal referred to the change of context with an intense penetration of renewable energies, he described the leap that the Archipelago has made in less than four years. In 2015, clean sources only covered 8% of the electricity demand of the Islands and today the rate has been raised to 20%.

The new call launched at the end of last year will provide another 180 megawatts of wind power. "This brings us closer to the goal of 45%," Pedro Ortega said yesterday, referring to the milestone that theCanary GovernmentIt has been marked for the year 2025.

.



Source link

Leave a Reply