The Madrid City Council, governed by José Luis Martínez-Almeida, has clarified this Thursday that the municipal funeral home did not stop collecting the deceased with coronavirus at any time, despite the fact that it initially said that it stopped doing so last Tuesday and it was not until Wednesday when it was announced that the service was still being provided.
The spokeswoman for the municipal government and delegate for Security and Emergencies, Inmaculada Sanz, has clarified that when it was said on Monday that they would not continue to provide services, it was because they did not have the necessary material despite repeated requests.
However, that day a rectification of the protocol in the treatment of the bodies and the 300 protection monkeys sent by the Community of Madrid allowed not to interrupt the work.
Specifically, the rectification of the protocol allowed the use of a double plastic shroud to introduce the corpses into the coffin instead of only waterproof bags, which were scarce, which gave a “certain margin of maneuver” to which the crew of monkeys was attached.
In any case, the municipal spokeswoman Inmaculada Sanz has indicated that they are still in a complicated situation regarding personal protective equipment, because although they have obtained masks and gloves, they still have an “important” problem with monkeys.
The situation is therefore “delicate”, added the municipal spokesperson, who thanked the “priceless” work of the funeral workers, who are doubling shifts and have “tripled” services, going from 50 or 60 when he was a normal day at around 150 daily.
Crematories and burials are “at full capacity” and “we remain in critical condition,” added Sanz.
The CCOO and UGT unions yesterday denounced the information that the service had been interrupted, assured that the funeral home has sufficient capacity and asked not to be “hostages in political disputes” while Más Madrid accused the mayor José Luis Martínez-Almeida of lying and asked for a rectification.