Sun. Feb 16th, 2020

Lagarde is "horrified" but keeps her trip to the Saudi Arabia forum

Lagarde is "horrified" but keeps her trip to the Saudi Arabia forum



The Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Christine Lagarde, said today that she is traveling to the economic forum in Saudi Arabia, despite being "horrified" by the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi at his country's consulate in Istanbul (Turkey). ).

"At this moment, my intention is not to change the plans and be very attentive to the information that will emerge in the following days," said Lagarde at a press conference to close the annual meeting of the IMF and the World Bank (WB). It takes place on the Indonesian island of Bali.

The director of the Fund said she was "horrified" by the latest reports, but stressed that she is "in charge of directing the IMF's business in all parts of the world."

"Those who know me know that when I visit countries I always say what I think," he added.

In the last hours several sponsors and guests have announced that they canceled their participation in the Future Investment Initiative conference, which will take place between October 23 and 25 and is considered to be the "Davos of the desert".

Among them, the president of the World Bank, Jim Yong Kim, who has already informed the Saudi authorities of his absence, although without giving a reason, informed Efe a source aware of the decision.

The US television network CNBC tweeted that it would not attend the forum in Riyadh "due to open questions surrounding the disappearance of the Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi."

For its part, the CNN channel said in a statement that it "withdrew its participation," while one of the New York Times' star columnist, Andrew Ross Sorkin, revealed on Twitter that he was not traveling to the kingdom to participate in the conference due to the disappearance of the reporter.

The news agency Bloomberg has been another media that has canceled its assistance.

Also from Bali, US Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin reiterated before journalists on Saturday that his intention is still to go to the meeting.

On October 2, Khashoggi entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul to collect some documents he needed to be able to marry his Turkish girlfriend, who stayed waiting outside the building.

Since then, his whereabouts are unknown.

The Turkish government has not officially ruled on the allegations of friends and colleagues who fear that the journalist was killed at the consulate.

Khashoggi, formerly close to the Saudi monarchy, distanced himself from her last summer, when the current crown prince, Mohamed bin Salman, rose to positions of power.

.



Source link