The International Monetary Fund (IMF) today canceled the participation of its managing director, Christine Lagarde, to the economic forum next week in Saudi Arabia without offering explanations of the reasons.
"The previously planned trip of the managing director to the Middle East has been postponed," an IMF spokesman said in a terse statement.
Lagarde's decision comes after several sponsors and guests at the Future Investment Initiative forum, including World Bank President Jim Yong Kim, have also canceled their participation.
The conference will take place between October 23 and 25 and is considered the "Desert Davos".
The cancellations have coincided with the disappearance last day 2 of the Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the consulate of his country in Istanbul (Turkey).
This past weekend, Lagarde was "horrified" by the reports about the disappearance of Khashoggi, although he said that his intention was "not to change plans" about his participation in the economic forum.
The US television networks CNBC and CNN announced that they would not go to the forum in Riyadh for the disappearance of Khashoggi.
Also, one of the New York Times' top columnists, Andrew Ross Sorkin, also said he was not traveling to the kingdom to participate in the conference due to the reporter's disappearance.
The news agency Bloomberg has been another media that has canceled its assistance.