Surely you already know what #FakeNews are and you can even identify a #phishing But would you recognize other #cams like the "Nigerian letters" or the figure of the "bank muleteer"? The National Police alerts us through their twitter of this type of lamanazas that circulate on the Net. Surely you already know what #FakeNews are and you can even identify a #phishing But would you recognize other #scams like the "Nigerian letters" or the figure of the "bank muleteer"?
«Scam» is a term that is used to refer to any attempt at fraud or fraud that is materialized through telematic means and whose objective is to obtain an economic benefit based on social engineering techniques so that the victim falls into deception.
We give you a series of keys, compiled by the Internet Security Office, so you can protect yourself against these cybercriminals:
By email you can receive emails from …
1. There is a very common scam called «Nigerian Charter» in which they make you believe that you are the heir of a large amount of money or that you are going to receive a donation. Only to make cash the payment of the supposed amount of money promised, previously it is necessary that you make a transfer to the person who contacted you with the excuse that it is necessary to make a payment of fees or unlocking of the money, which will be returned in the when the donation is made.
two. Another well-known and used scam over time is «The prize of the lottery», in which you receive an email informing you that you have been awarded, without even having participated in any draw. The scammers ask for your personal and banking information, such as credit card information, in order to receive the alleged prize. Once your data is received, the cybercriminals may make malicious use of them, such as making purchases or payment subscriptions in your name.
3. Phishing It is one of the most common frauds today. They send you an e-mail by posing as a company or known entity, in which for some reason, they ask you to access a link to update some relevant information under any pretext. The web page that you access impersonates the legitimate entity in such a way that your data will end up in the hands of the cybercriminals.
Four. Getting money easily is something that many people would like. This is the main reason why cybercriminals take advantage of it to attract bank muleteers, making you arrive an offer of "easy work". Through an e-mail, they ask you to act as an intermediary to make bank transfers between accounts using your identity, in exchange for receiving an additional amount of money. Behind all this, there is a plot of money laundering and criminal activity, in which you are involved if you participate.
5. As an Internet user, you are also exposed to receive emails with the aim of extorting you. They can reach your inbox and through blackmail, they trick you into making a deposit in a certain bank account.
6 The hoaxes / hoax / fake news normally they do not cause you economic losses, but they do affect your credibility and that of hundreds of users by participating in the propagation of messages with false news about people, institutions or companies. In addition, even if they seem harmless or unimportant messages, there are people behind who are benefiting economically with the display of this information, either through advertising, the volume of visits or the sale of user data.
On a web page you can find …
one. When you browse the Internet You can see many ads or web pages that encourage you to hire services or buy products They offer great guarantees at a low cost. For cybercriminals this is a good bait that attracts its victims with ease. The objective is trick you into making a payment for a product or service, without it being received.
two. At present, there are cybercriminals who contact through social networks or dating applications with other users from false profiles to deceive them and look for victims to cheat. Many times they make you believe they have a serious problem and they need a bank transfer in order to solve it. In this way, they obtain large amounts of money from different users.
3. When looking for work online You can find offers that can get your attention because they offer a very high salary for the type of work to be performed. These offers mask a fraud, which aims to steal your personal data or even ask you to make a payment, with the excuse of paying administrative procurement procedures.
How to recognize and avoid them
one. The best tool to avoid them is to know them, that is, knowing what types of scams exist. It will be easier for you to identify them and thus ignore them. Thus, It is recommended that you stay informed and apply good habits of cyberhigiene to prevent your contact information, such as email, from reaching the hands of cybercriminals and deceiving you.
two. In case of doubt, provided that the source from which the information comes is unknown or from a source with little reputation, avoid responding or follow the game.
3. It is also very It is advisable that you look for information on the Internet related to the person who is trying to contact you. For example, doing a search by name or email, if you have provided it.
4. If he talks to you about a specific company, seeks information about its existence and contact information to contrast the information.
5. read opinions in forums or chats. It will help you make decisions in case you do not know what to do.
6 As a defense mechanism to prevent you from receiving fraudulent e-mails, you We recommend that you configure your email appropriately with an antispam filter. In this way, you will get your tray to be kept clean from emails that mask fraud.
7 Additionally, do not make any service or product payment of which you have no reliable reference and doubt about its legality. Reliable pages have methods of payment or transfer of insurance, and sometimes, also incorporate online trust stamps that give credibility to your website. In short, find out about the keys that make a page reliable or not.