The President of Honduras, Juan Orlando Hernández, said this Sunday that the Government will distribute 355 million lempiras ($ 14.4 million) to the country’s mayors to distribute food to poor families affected by the crisis caused by the coronavirus.
Nationally, the president indicated that he has asked the country’s mayors to be part of the “Honduras Solidaria” campaign, promoted by the Executive to bring food to the neediest families during the emergency by COVID-19.
He explained that the families of the Central District, which make up the cities of Tegucigalpa and Comayagüela; Choluteca, La Ceiba and San Pedro Sula will continue to be served centrally under the “house by house” methodology.
Hernández indicated that the Government will transfer 355 million lempiras (14.4 million dollars) to the Mayors to support 712,744 poor families without access to food during the coronavirus emergency.
“We are strengthening the Honduras Solidaria operation and the mayors are committed to operating the Municipal Emergency Committee so that together with civil society they can carry out this operation, privileging the local producer,” he emphasized.
The Honduran military began last week to deliver 800,000 food rations as part of the “Honduras Solidaria” operation, which seeks to serve some 3.2 million people.
Food is delivered from Wednesday “house to house” to prevent people from leaving and thus prevent the spread of the coronavirus, which in the Central American country affects 110 people and has caused three deaths, according to official figures.
The Government plans to deliver a second food ration to poor families within fifteen days, always under the coordination of the Armed Forces and the Police.
The Honduran ruler indicated that the Superior Court of Accounts will ensure that the operation is carried out “transparently” and “with the agility that this requires.”
“This is an extremely difficult situation, which we are beginning to face, more difficult times are coming, but together, without distinction of any nature, being as transparent as possible, including all sectors, is that we are going to get out of this situation better”, emphasized.
He also stressed that the crisis the country is experiencing “is difficult”, but “we are going to manage it by the hand of God, all united and making the best effort.”
He also urged the population to abide by the absolute curfew that today has been extended until April 12 and “not challenge” the authorities when leaving home.
Law enforcement must “be strict and enforce the provisions,” said Hernández, who asked citizens to stay home to stop the spread of the virus.
“We have never seen the levels of contagion for this disease, so for your health, that of your family, follow the directions exactly,” said the Honduran president.