A family beach day that ended in the worst way. A man dies after contracting a comecarne bacteria After a day at the beach in Florida, in the United States, with his family.
Dave Bennet spent last Friday in the waters of the Destin area, where he did water skiing and sailed on a boat with his family. According to the story that his own daughter has shared on Facebook, "the next day he woke up with fever, cold and cramps".
"Doctors said his organs were very affected as was his blood. He died Sunday afternoon"says the daughter.
He had suffered cancer a few years before and his immune system was already weakened. However, it was not the first time he bathed in the sea after overcoming this disease and did not present open wounds, according to his daughter, but "a couple of practically healed scratches and I'm sure they were well sealed," he says. .
At the end of June, a 12-year-old girl also contracted her and faces multiple surgeries to fight for her life.
The bacteria 'eat meat', what is it and how to protect itself from it?
With the arrival of summer the beaches are filled with tourists looking to cool down to fight the hottest months of the year. Groups of friends, couples and entire families enjoy the good weather, the sand and the waves of the sea. But, in these days of enjoyment and rest, there are dangers that sometimes go unnoticed.
The Sun, the jellyfish, the sea urchins or the danger of Ocean currents They are threats that we can find on a beach day. However, many times we do not have those invisible dangers, which are increasingly common.
It is the case of the bacteria 'eat meat', which we have heard about her for years. Scientific name Vibrio vulnificus, this pathogen, which thrives in warm marine waters, can cause infections in humans.
Normally, people are affected by the consumption of shellfish contaminated with this bacterium, although it is also possible that this bacillus (rod-shaped bacteria) penetrate our body through an open wound that comes into contact with the water where this bacterium is 'eat meat'.
Most people who are affected tend to have mild symptoms, although in individuals who have immune deficiency causes septicemia, which can be fatal. It can also cause infection of wounds or gastrointestinal problems in these people. It is possible that this pathogen generates infections of the skin, blood or cause necrotizing fasciitis, a rare infection that destroys the skin and muscle tissue.
A study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine believes that physicians must "be aware of the possibility that V. vulnificus infections occur more frequently outside of traditional geographic areas." And, this bacterium is appearing closer and closer to the beaches and in places further north, due to global warming.
In order to avoid getting infected, it is advisable not to bathe if we have an open wound in our body. If we have a small wound, we can choose to bandage the skin with a waterproof bandage that prevents the skin from coming into contact with water. Another way to prevent us from becoming infected would be to not eat raw or undercooked seafood, which should be cooked well to reduce the risk.
(tagsToTranslate) Die (t) days (t) after (t) become infected (t) bacteria (t) comecarne (t) beach (t) Society (t) news (t) news (t) news today (t) the province (t) daily of las palmas (t) canarias (t) daily las palmas (t) daily.