Google requires its 130,000 employees to get vaccinated to return to the office


Google requires its 130,000 employees to get vaccinated to return to the office

Google requires its 130,000 employees to get vaccinated to return to the office

The American internet giant Google informed its more than 130,000 employees around the world on Wednesday that they have the obligation to be vaccinated against Covid-19 to return to the offices in October.

In a corporate blog post, Google CEO Sundar Pichai explained that the implementation of this requirement “will vary according to local conditions and regulations” and that it will not be imposed in a given region until vaccines are “widely available” there.

Pichai It also delayed the mandatory return date to the offices, which was set for September but is now October 18, due to the increase in coronavirus cases worldwide due to the delta variant.

Although several governments and public entities in the United States have already announced the requiring their employees to receive the vaccine to return to work, Google is the first big technology company to do the same.

At the beginning of July, some of the thousands of employees that Google has in the United States. returned to the office for the first time since the start of the pandemic of Covid-19 last year, a return on a voluntary basis and that serves as a test for the autumn.

The search engine firm already announced in early May that, once the pandemic is over, 80% of its workforce will have to return to physical jobs, Meanwhile he The remaining 20% ​​will be able to telecommute permanently.

Those who must attend the offices will have to do so on a mandatory basis only a few days a week, while the other days they will be able to choose from where they will work.

Google was one of the first large companies to Silicon Valley in closing its offices and promoting telecommuting at the beginning of last year.

Covid-19 accelerated the transition to remote work, which was already beginning to take place in the technology industry in recent years.

.



Source link