The Minister of Public Health of the Dominican Republic, Rafael Sánchez Cárdenas, confirmed Monday the death by dengue of three people, all children, while another five deaths are under study.
In statements to journalists, the official explained that, "out of eight files assessed, three died from dengue," deaths resulting from "the deficiency in the care with the handling of fluids" in patients under 10 years of age, two of them from Bahoruco ( south) and a third of Santo Domingo.
These three deaths announced today are the first recorded and confirmed so far this year because of dengue in the Dominican Republic, where there was only one fatal case of the disease in 2018.
The minister stressed that the country "alone" has registered a little more than 3,000 cases and asked the media rigor in the information not to generate social alarm.
In this regard, he indicated that in the last report of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) corresponding to the ten countries with the highest incidence of the disease, the Dominican Republic ranks number nine.
He also called "sanity to those who have been misinforming public opinion." The cases need study and scientific assessment to establish the causes of death, "he added during the launch of a campaign to prevent the spread of the mosquito. "Aedes aegypti", which infects Dengue, Zika and Chikungunya.
In the activity, the Minister of Health said that they have identified the main areas of action, where the Ministry of Defense will support with the participation of its staff in work of fumigation, elimination of mosquito breeding sites and cleaning of spaces prone to multiplication of the transmitter insect.
In addition to the Ministries of Public Health and Defense, in actions to reduce the spread of vector-borne diseases, it participates in the Ministry of Public Works.
"Some 32 municipalities have been identified, which will be given priority in these tasks, responding to the number of cases registered so far," the minister said.
The last epidemiological bulletin of Public Health, corresponding to week 23 of the year, reveals an increase of 459% of cases with respect to the same period last year, when 2,921 cases were computed, to which we should add those recorded in the last days , including the deaths.
This figure assumes an incidence rate of 63.76 cases per 100,000 inhabitants for the aforementioned epidemiological week number 23 (from June 3 to 9), compared to the rate of 11.41 cases for 2018 for the same date, when 518 were registered. cases of the disease.
In the last four weeks there has been an exponential increase in cases, registering 791 of the total, that is, 27% of those recorded since the beginning of the year.
(tagsToTranslate) Republic (t) Dominican (t) confirms (t) deaths (t) studies