September 30, 2020

Death rate skyrockets in ICUs: one in ten seriously infected dies



In addition to the saturation of its services -691 critical beds of Madrid hospitals were occupied this morning-, there is another data that is unleashing the alarm these days among the intensive care doctors who are in charge of the Intensive Care Units (UCIS ): the high mortality rate of those infected by coronavirus whose condition is severe; mortality that is growing as the pandemic progresses. According to the data held by LA RAZÓN, since its emergence in Madrid, the most affected community, 68 patients have died in these units, representing 9.84% of the total number of patients admitted. Health sources assure in this regard that said mortality rate was lower at the beginning of hatching and that it has been rising to the one registered today, which makes it foresee that it will grow even more over the next few days.

In just twelve hours, the number of admitted has increased by 22, and the number of deaths by two. If we compare the data with those registered on Thursday at 9:00 in the morning, the increase in hospitalizations is 91 and that of deceased is eight. The latest statistics attest to the dimension of the drama in Madrid health centers, absolutely collapsed. The Gregorio Marañón Hospital is the one that receives the most patients in the ICUs in all of Madrid. It has 44, 37 of them with assisted breathing. To date, four deaths have been counted in this center in the critical unit.

La Paz is not far behind. This hospital cares for 42 patients, 35 of them with mechanical ventilation. It also records four deaths. Jiménez Díaz cares for 40 very serious patients, 39 with a respirator, also counting four deaths. El Ramón y Cajal, meanwhile, records 39 extremely seriously infected, 34 with respirators. More sick people have died in this health center: a total of five. The San Carlos Clinic, for its part, assists 41 very serious infected, 37 very serious, all of them with respirators. In the hospital there have been four deaths. All in all, these are not the hospitals hardest hit by the coronavirus, as they still have some muscle to withstand the avalanche of patients one more day.

The worst unemployed are the hospitals located in the southern area, which are fully occupied in UCIS, plants and emergencies. The situation is dramatic, for example, in the Infanta Leonor de Vallecas and the Severo Ochoa Hospital in Leganés. In both, the capacity limit has already been reached. In the first, there are 19 admitted to the ICU, all with respirators, and there are already eight deaths, being the hospital that registers the most deaths in all of Madrid. In Severo Ochoa de Leganés, the number of people treated in a state of extreme gravity is 20, 18 of them with a respirator. This center registers four deaths in the critical unit. Health sources assure that the avalanche is such that at the end of the day there will be around 750 infected patients admitted to the ICUs throughout Madrid and that at the existing growth rate, there would be 1,500 next Wednesday.

As this newspaper has already reported, the Community of Madrid launched an emergency plan earlier this week to enable critical beds in other areas of hospitals such as resuscitation services – known in medical terminology such as REAS – and in operating rooms. Currently, 90% of the surface of most of them is dedicated to the care of very seriously ill patients who did not fit in conventional ICUs. The remaining 10% is used for urgent surgery on virus-free patients. This plan is enabling around 1,100 critical beds in the Community, enough for this week but not for the middle of the next, in light of the growth that infections are experiencing.

.



Source link