Sun. Mar 29th, 2020

Coronavirus crisis | Wimbledon will consider suspension at an emergency meeting – The Province


The All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC), organizer of Wimbledon, acknowledged this Wednesday that the possible suspension of the third ‘Grand Slam’ of the season, due to the coronavirus pandemic, will be on the table at an emergency meeting next week.

“The AELTC announces that it is continuing a detailed evaluation of all the scenarios for The Championships 2020, including the postponement and cancellation, as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak,” says the official note from the British ‘big’.

Last week, the Wimbledon organization kept his plan unchanged, although he recognized the unpredictability of the situation. The pandemic forced the International Olympic Committee yesterday to postpone the Tokyo Games to 2021, and men’s and women’s tennis has stopped just until June, the grass tour.

“The AELTC has been planning contingencies since January, working closely with the UK government and public health authorities to follow their advice and understand the likely impact of COVID-19,” he explains.

“A emergency meeting of the AELTC Main Board is scheduled for next week, and we are communicating closely with the LTA, and with the ATP, WTA, ITF and the other ‘Grand Slams’, “he adds, acknowledging that postponing Wimbledon, with the grass planted in April, it is not easy in such a short window, and making it clear that playing behind closed doors is “out of the question.”

“The unprecedented challenge Presented by the COVID-19 crisis continues to affect our way of life in ways we could not have imagined, and our thoughts are with everyone affected in the UK and around the world. The most important consideration is public health, and we are determined to act responsibly through the decisions we make, “says Richard Lewis CBE, executive director of the AELTC.

.



Source link