The German businesswoman Corinna Larsen, with whom Juan Carlos I had an extramarital relationship, has declared before Swiss justice that the King Emeritus transferred 64.8 million to her in 2012 "out of gratitude and love", and "not to get rid of the money " This is reflected in the text of her statement before the prosecutor Yves Bertossa, who. El País has had access and which reproduces Larsen's words on December 19, 2018 before the headquarters of the Geneva Prosecutor's Office.
All the protagonists of the case of the fortune of Juan Carlos I in Switzerland
"I was aware that I had done a lot for him and that I had been very present when his illness was announced to him. I also think that he felt a little guilty for what had happened to me in Monaco. In 2012 I was kidnapped by the Spanish secret services - a who Larsen has repeatedly pointed out as executors of a campaign of harassment against him - in my apartment, "said the businesswoman before the Swiss prosecutor Yves Bertossa, who is leading a secret investigation into the funds of Juan Carlos I in a country account on behalf of the Lucum Foundation.
In the framework of this case on the funds of the former king, Bertossa made a statement to Corinna Larsen last December as an investigator, as well as the alleged figureheads Arturo Fassana and Dante Canonical, who was responsible for the foundation whose first beneficiary was the king emeritus and in which the current monarch was listed as the second beneficiary –Without his knowledge, according to Zarzuela–. Bertossa believes that the 65 million euros that were transferred from the Lucum account to another in Larssen in 2012 come from the 100 million that Juan Carlos I received a commission for the construction of the AVE to Mecca in 2008, according to the Swiss newspaper Tribuna de Ginebra.
According to the Geneva Tribune, Juan Carlos spent a few years taking money from that account until in 2012 he closed it when Switzerland tightened its anti-money laundering laws and he distributed the money that remained in it between two of his ex-partners: 65 million for Corinna Larsen and 2 million for Marta Gayá.
Regarding a possible move by the former monarch to hide that amount through the German businesswoman, the ex-partner of Juan Carlos I told the prosecutor, according to El País, that "at no time [el rey emérito] He said he wanted to get rid of that money. I do not know if he had declared these assets to the Spanish treasury. I had vaguely heard of a tax amnesty in Spain, but since I do not live in that country I do not know the details. "The alleged figurehead Dante Canonica corroborated that version of Larsen:" I remember that Juan Carlos I wanted to irrevocably transfer his assets to him . I don't think I told Corinna that the king was doing it to get rid of his assets. "
A "donation" of 100 million converted into "current practice among kings"
Regarding the origin of the millions, which the Swiss prosecution considers the result of a commission for the construction of the AVE to Mecca, Larsen says that "it was explained to me that it came from a donation by King Abdullah in favor of Juan Carlos I. They did not explain the reason for this donation, but it is a common practice among kings, specifically in the Middle East. Juan Carlos I had not told me about this previously. He was very discreet regarding the state of his finances. "
Bertossa's interrogation also addressed the purchase of a house in London and two apartments at the Swiss station of Villars-sur-Ollo by the German businesswoman, as well as the transfers made by Juan Carlos I to his at Mirabaud and at the British financial institution HSBC.
Larsen pointed out in his responses, according to El País, that these operations were "loans" from the King Emeritus who he claims to have returned and that he created the Riverhouse-Partners society to buy a house in Eaton Square (London) for five million pounds, which also needed a reform of four million. "It is true that Juan Carlos I participated in the financing for the purchase of this house with 1.5 million pounds. It was a donation on his behalf in my favor. To buy this house, the authorization of Juan Carlos I was not necessary "
The Supreme Prosecutor's Office investigates whether Juan Carlos de Borbón committed money laundering and tax crime
The Prosecutor's Office of the Supreme Court has undertaken an investigation against the king emeritus for the alleged commission charge to act as an intermediary in the award of AVE works to Mecca in favor of a conglomerate of Spanish companies. Prosecutors are investigating whether Juan Carlos de Borbón committed money laundering and a tax offense. The head of the Spanish State for 40 years and a key figure in the Transition is today the subject of investigation by a team of High Court prosecutors led by a specialist in economic crimes.
Anti-corruption last June raised the investigation against the King Emeritus to the Supreme "As it turned out that one of the people involved in the investigated events was the then King, today King Emeritus." More than a decade after the alleged donation took place from Saudi Arabia, the Supreme Prosecutor's Office is going to determine if there are criminally relevant acts against Juan Carlos. The case will be brought by the prosecutor of the Chamber Juan Ignacio Campos, who will be assisted by a team made up of three other prosecutors "who will assume the undeniable technical complexity of these proceedings".
What these prosecutors are going to try is to clarify if any of the possible crimes were committed after June 2014, when Juan Carlos I abdicated in favor of his son and lost the inviolability that he had enjoyed until then. The commission was paid in 2008, but investigators must determine whether the king committed money laundering in money movements or if you committed a tax crime by not informing the Treasury of your income abroad.