Brazilian minister Moro denies that he intends to be a presidential candidate in 2022



The Brazilian federal justice and former minister, Sergio Moro, denied Monday that he intends to be a candidate in 2022, despite his popularity that places him as one of the eventual favorites in the presidential race.

“I don’t have that kind of ambition (of being president). We have to have our feet on the ground. There is the famous and old phrase that says: ‘sic transit gloria mundi’ (every glory in the world is transitory, according to the Latin translation ) “, replied Moro during his participation in the Roda Viva program, of the state-owned TV Cultura.

Earlier this year, the Datafolha Institute published the result of a survey in which the level of confidence in Moro is 33%, eleven percentage points above the current president, Jair Bolsonaro.

In December, the same demonstration institute said that the distinguished judge of the anti-corruption operation ‘Lava Jato’, in which he condemned several politicians, including former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, had an approval of his 53 %, compared to 30% of Bolsonaro’s as president.

“Those matters of popularity come and go, they pass, and the important thing for me is to do my job as a Minister of Justice and that is what I set out with the president. I think we are on the right track,” said Moro.

For Moro, “the candidate of the federal government, as already stated by the president of the Republic, Jair Bolsonaro, must be himself. If he does not change his mind and if I am minister of the Bolsonaro Government, obviously, the government ministers go to support the president. That’s the natural way. “

However, when questioned if he would sign a public document in which he would commit himself not to dispute the Presidency, Moro said: “It makes no sense to sign a document of those, because many people signed and then tore it.”

In the program, in which invited journalists from different media bombard the central character with questions, the minister talked about various issues and highlighted the reduction of crimes in the country during his administration, thanks to the support of the Federal and Civil and Militarized Police of the states.

On the departure on Friday of the National Secretary of Culture, Roberto Alvim, after paraphrasing in a video of his office parts of a speech delivered by the Propaganda Minister of the Nazi regime of Adolf Hitler, Joseph Goebbels, Moro described the episode as “bizarre “.

According to Moro, Bolsonaro made the “absolutely correct decision” by accepting Alvim’s request for resignation, after the case that gained a high negative impact worldwide.

On other controversial issues, such as attacks on the press by Bolsonaro and the attack on the producer Porta dos Fundos in retaliation for a Christmas television series on Netflix and in which Jesus is personified as a homosexual, Moro avoided speaking and He said that it is not his duty as a minister to be a “commentator.”

As for the messages of him, when he was a judge, with prosecutors of the ‘Lava Jato’ and that were published by the site The Intercept Brazil along with other means, the now minister called the matter a “great silly thing”.

“I think it’s a minor episode. I never gave much importance to that. I think it’s a big silly thing. (The disclosure) was used politically to try to release criminal prisoners, people who had been convicted of corruption and, mainly, politically weaken the ministry, “he said.

.



Source link