With a time of 1: 16.564 in the Imola circuit, Valtteri Bottas settled at the top of the standings, with a margin of 41 thousandths over his teammate and World Cup leader, Lewis hamilton, winner of the race held three weeks ago in Bahrain.
Dutch Max verstappen (Red Bull) was third, 0.058 seconds behind Bottas, at the start of the second round of the championship.
The Monegasque Charles Leclerc (Ferrari), the French Pierre Gasly (AlphaTauri), the Spanish Carlos Sainz (Ferrari) and his compatriot Fernando Alonso (Alpine) were distributed fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh, respectively, in a session marked by two incidents.
With 22 minutes to go, Free Practice 1 was momentarily interrupted after an accident in which the Frenchman Esteban Ocon (Alpine) and the Mexican were involved. Sergio perez (Red Bull).
With the clock already at zero, the Russian Nikita Mazepin left the track. The Haas driver hit the wall after stepping on the clay in the pit lane entrance area.
Pérez, Ocon and Mazepin finished in sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth position.
At 14.30 CET, the drivers will return to the track to complete the second free practice session, which will also last one hour at the Enzo and Dino Ferrari Autodrome.
Classification of the first free practice session:
1.Valtteri Bottas (FIN / Mercedes) 1: 16.564
2. Lewis Hamilton (GBR / Mercedes) at 0.041
3.Max verstappen (NED / Red Bull) at 0.058
Four. Charles Leclerc (MON / Ferrari) at 0.232
5. Pierre Gasly (FRA / AlphaTauri) at 0.324
6. Carlos Sainz (ESP / Ferrari) at 0.324
7. Fernando Alonso (ESP / Alpine) at 0.893
8. Lance Stroll (CAN / Aston Martin) at 0.925
9. Nicholas Latifi (CAN / Williams) at 1,175
10. Daniel Ricciardo (AUS / McLaren) to 1,205
eleven. George Russell (GBR / Williams) at 1,302
12. Kimi Raikkonen (FIN / Alfa Romeo) at 1,319
13. Lando norris (GBR / McLaren) to 1,371
14. Sebastian Vettel (ALE / Aston Martin) to 1,420
fifteen. Antonio Giovinazzi (ITA / Alfa Romeo) to 1,494
16. Sergio Pérez (MEX / Red Bull) to 1,664
17. Esteban Ocon (FRA / Alpine) at 1,796
18. Nikita Mazepin (RUS / Haas) at 2,259
19. Mick Schumacher (ALE / Haas) at 2,916
20. Yuki Tsunoda (JPN / AlphaTauri) at 3,217