Bolivia’s health authorities study a suspected case of coronavirus in a young Bolivian who arrived in the country from China, who was isolated in a medical center to determine whether or not he suffers from the disease.
Acting Health Minister Víctor Hugo Cárdenas told a press conference in La Paz that the young Bolivian, 18, had arrived in the last hours to the Bolivian city of Cochabamba from China, where he lives, and presented symptoms of the illness.
The patient is undergoing “clinical and laboratory studies to confirm or rule out the disease,” Cárdenas explained.
The young man is in a health center in Cochabamba, where protocols were activated, including his isolation, to be treated by a team of specialists and his state of health is stable, according to the authority.
For its part, the national head of Epidemiology of the Ministry of Health of Bolivia, Carola Valencia, said that in four days the results are expected.
The analyzes were sent to an international reference laboratory in the American city of Atlanta.
Bolivian health authorities appeared before the media together with the representative of the World Health Organization and Pan American Health Organization (WHO-PAHO) in Bolivia, Alfonso Tenorio.
This is the first suspected case of coronavirus reported in Bolivia, after ruling out last Tuesday that they were suspected of suffering from the disease three Japanese tourists were treated in a hospital in the Bolivian city of Uyuni.
Chinese health authorities have raised the death toll from the coronavirus that causes Wuhan pneumonia to 563, among the 28,018 infected diagnosed so far in the Asian country.
To date, all but two deaths, which occurred in the Philippines and Hong Kong in the last six days, have occurred in mainland China and although about twenty countries have cases diagnosed with pneumonia from Wuhan, China monopolizes around 99 percent of those infected.