January 24, 2021

Baraka asks to paralyze the works of the Spain Building for supposed security problems | Economy

Baraka asks to paralyze the works of the Spain Building for supposed security problems | Economy



Trinitario Casanova, owner of the holding company Baraka, who collaborated in the transfer of the Spain Building of Wanda to the RIU hotel chain Last year, he asked the Madrid City Council and the judges to paralyze the reform of the emblematic building due to supposed security problems. In a statement released Tuesday, Baraka affirms that RIU refuses to execute "all the reinforcement and structural consolidation works to adapt it to the current regulations and that could endanger the stability of the building". But the hotel company denies it. "The work continues with all the guarantees to open the hotel in 2019," he said in a response statement.

The conflict between Baraka and RIU exploded at the end of last August. Casanova then sued the Madrid hotel court for his refusal to deed 15,000 square meters of commercial property, committed, according to his thesis, in favor of Baraka Renta SL. The Mallorcan group, on the other hand, replied that it was not true that Baraka had "no right to purchase contract or to deed the commercial area of ​​the Edificio España." And he accused Casanova of not having managed to find investors for the management of the commercial space.

In his new lawsuit, which Baraka is going to present before the courts of first instance of the capital, the holding company de Casanova alleges that the RCCyP architecture studio's refusal to reform the space is due to the fact that RIU decided to carry out the works on the margin of a report "on the constraints that the architecture and foundations of the Spain building impose on its rehabilitation, dated 9 February 2017 ", which was drafted by the Technical Institute of Materials and Construction (INTEMAC).

According to Baraka, said report includes a series of conditions for the works (such as reinforcements throughout the building) that were required to obtain the license and that would affect the conservation of the front and side façade of the emblematic building. RIU undertook to carry out these works after the Government of Manuela Carmena forced it to do so within the framework of its plan to defend the historical and cultural heritage of Madrid. On the other hand, Wanda, who refused to comply with this condition, left the operation and sold the building to RIU in June 2017 for 272 million.

RIU keeps its plans

The hotel chain, however, claims that Baraka's accusations are "absolutely false." He adds that the building "is being reinforced completely, from bottom to top, both for the commercial zone and for the hotel zone". Although it recognizes that, although the building was "exemplarily built in its time" and "is excellently conserved", it is necessary "an in-depth reform (…) and therefore this reinforcement is being put into practice in foundations, pillars, beams and forged ".

RIU also accused of "reckless" Baraka's accusation, and remarks that it has the "total confidence in the facultative direction of the work", formed by an architect project director, a civil engineer draftsman of the project of structures and a technical architect director of material execution.

The courts of the capital must now decide on the lawsuit filed by Baraka, although RIU trusts that this last chapter of the confrontation with Trinitario Casanova will not affect the anticipated timeframe for the opening of the new four-star hotel. The future RIU Plaza de Madrid will be the first urban hotel of the hotel chain in the capital of Spain and is expected to become the flagship of the company in the country. The project includes 585 rooms, 18 meeting rooms, two restaurants and swimming pools, and a skyPub on the rooftop.

.



Source link