Attacks on doctors are reduced by 35% in 2020



Assaults on registered doctors in Spain they were reduced by 35 percent in 2020, compared to 2020, although there has been an increase with respect to insults and threats that these health professionals, especially women, have received in Primary Care services.

This follows from the ‘Balance of the attack data’, carried out by the Observatory of Aggressions of the Collegiate Medical Organization (OMC), which have been collected through the 52 medical colleges in Spain. Specifically, 441 cases were reported in 2020, compared to 677 reported in 2019.

This decline, as explained by the Secretary General of the WTO, Jose Maria Rodriguez Vicente, It may be due to the months of confinement that occurred last year as a result of the health crisis generated by the coronavirus. In fact, 29 percent of the attacks registered were carried out by telephone or telematics, compared to the remaining 71 percent.

East new health and care context It has also caused a change with respect to the consequence of the attacks, which in 2020 were mostly non-physical (56%) compared to 44 percent of the physical ones, reversing the trend for the first time in recent years.

In addition, and regarding the different types of aggressions suffered, insults and threats were produced in nine out of ten cases, mostly women (60%), while the remaining 10 percent were assaults that ended in physical injuries, suffering them at the same time.

for men and women (50% vs 50%). Regarding 2019, the increase in insults (+ 10%).

Globally, of all the attacks suffered, 57 percent correspond to women compared to 43 percent of men, registering an increase in the attacks registered within the scope of Primary Care, which represents more than 50 percent of the cases. (52%) compared to 43 percent the previous year. After Primary Care, They are followed by Hospitals (17%), Primary Care Emergencies (10%) and Hospital Emergencies (9%).

Discrepancies in medical care

40 percent of the assaults, which They usually occur between 10 a.m. and 12 a.m. and between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. They are produced by discrepancies with the medical attention received, 7% motivated specifically by causes related to COVID-19, although also by not prescribing what is proposed by the patient (10%), and by the time to be treated (11% ).

86 percent of all of them have occurred in public health, and 52 percent of offenders are scheduled patients, followed by the unscheduled (25%) and companions (21%). At this point, Rodríguez Vicente has drawn attention to the fact that in those under 60 years of age those who attack the most are men, while from that age on, women are the ones who commit the most aggressions against doctors.

Regarding the ages, the report highlights that the aggressions They are suffered mainly by collegiate members between 56 and 65 years of age, followed by those of 36 and 55 years. On the contrary, those who suffer the least attacks are the age group under 46 to 55 years old, and especially those over 66 years old.

By autonomous communities, despite the fact that Madrid’s community presents the highest number of collegiate members, it is in Andalusia where the highest number of attacks occur (110 in 2020), followed by Catalonia, Madrid and the Valencian Community.

Now, if the incidence is analyzed, it is in Cantabria (4.22) and Extremadura (4.06), where the cumulative incidence rate of attacks is higher, which in Spain stands at 1.63 per 1,000 members.

Online course

On the other hand, during the meeting the course ‘on line’ ‘Aggressions to health professionals has been presented. Fundamentals of prevention, protection, and response ‘, carried out by the WTO Training Foundation, in collaboration with the Mutual Medical Foundation and the National Police.

This initiative, which was launched this Friday, March 12, aims to provide basic knowledge and skills to the healthcare professional, so that you are able to improve your understanding of the problem of patient aggressions and acquire the fundamental skills to prevent, protect and act.

“It is time to take action, to put the data aside and, for this, training is necessary. The National Police wants to train doctors because they need their own safety guidelines to eradicate, or reduce as much as possible, all the aggressions they suffer, “said the National Health Police Interlocutor, Javier Galvan, to ensure that the course “will make life easier for the healthcare professional in their workplace.”

In the same way, the president of the Mutual Medical Foundation has pronounced, Alejandro Andreu, who insisted that if doctors have tools and techniques to detect a possible aggression, many of them can be “avoided or minimized.”

.



Source link