The Italian Paralympic cyclist Alex Zanardi left the hospital where he was admitted since his serious accident on Tuesday from June 19 to be transferred to a specialized center for neurological rehabilitation.
He Paralympic four-time champion, 53, suffered serious head injuries and severe brain damage after being hit by a truck during a test in Italy, and he has undergone surgery three times and until last week he did not come out of the induced coma.
Now, the hospital in Siena where the former Formula 1 driver was admitted has warned that his work in treating the Italian “has ended.” “After suspension of sedation, normal cardio-respiratory and metabolic parameters, the stability of the general clinical conditions and the neurological condition allowed today his transfer to a specialized recovery center and functional rehabilitation, “the center said in a statement.
“Our professionals remain available to this extraordinary person and his family for the later stages of clinical development, diagnosis and therapy, as always happens in these cases, “remarked the general manager of the hospital, Valtere Giovannini.
This thanked the team that has dealt “with great professionalism” of the cyclist who “underwent three delicate surgical operations and showed a path of stability of his clinical conditions and vital parameters that allowed the reduction and suspension of sedation, and the consequent possibility of being transferred to a center for his necessary neurological rehabilitation, “he added.
Finally, Giovannini sent “a big hug to Alex’s family”. “He has shown extraordinary strength: a precious gift that will have to be a fundamental traveling companion for the new path that begins today,” he said.