July 25, 2021

A woman from northern Italy, the first suspected case of COVID-19 in Puerto Rico



A 68-year-old woman from northern Italy is the first suspected case of COVID-19 in Puerto Rico, island authorities said Sunday.

At a press conference, the island’s governor, Wanda Vázquez, and the secretary of Health, Rafael Rodríguez, reported that the woman and her partner are in isolation at a hotel in the San Juan metropolitan area.

In the next 24 to 48 hours, Rodriguez said, it will be known if he has the aforementioned type of coronavirus since the test is not available on the island and has to be sent to the United States.

It is estimated that this week the tests are already available in Puerto Rico.

He added that the woman arrived on the ship “Costa Luminosa” that left Fort Lauderdale (USA) almost 15 days ago and that she arrived this morning and has already sailed.

The governor asked that “anxiety” and “hysteria” be avoided as a result of this case and insisted that as soon as the result is known, it will be communicated to the population.

Today, he insisted, “we have no case with COVID-19.”

The ship carried 2,500 people on board and it is estimated that about 40 percent of travelers got off the boat to visit San Juan.

The governor said that from now on any ship that arrives at the ports of Puerto Rico must notify before entering the bay if it has any sick person with symptoms of COVID-19 on board.

“The one that does not notify him, will not be able to enter,” he warned, after noting that he had not been notified of this case since the person had symptoms of pneumonia.

The governor after hearing the case called the Working Group on the coronavirus.

Last week the Board of Fiscal Supervision (JSF) for Puerto Rico approved five million dollars from the Emergency Fund for measures against the disease.

More than a hundred countries already suffer, with greater or lesser intensity, the presence of the coronavirus, which in one day has caused the death in Italy of 133 people, according to the latest government data that raised the number of deaths to 366.

The World Health Organization (WHO) said today that contagions have been detected for the first time in Bulgaria, Costa Rica, Maldives, Malta and Moldova.

In the last 24 hours, 3,656 new cases were diagnosed worldwide, which brings the total to 105,586, while 98 new deaths were reported, so the deaths are already 3,584.

The figures in China, origin of the epidemic, continue to slow down, and today only 46 new cases were reported (the total is 80,859) and 27 deaths (3,100 since the onset of the disease in December), always according to the figures for The OMS.

.



Source link